Tranny fluid no dipstick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogm4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the transmission non-serviceable? I was thinking of adding a cooler, but when I looked for a dipstick there was none. I read in the manual that the tranny shouldn't need service for 150K. I understand the deal with FMC not wanting to cover mess-ups on fluid selection, but what if you wanted to add a cooler or flush you own? I've done the R-4100 many times on the 7.3's and is really easy.............only takes 5 4 gallon jugs. Can we not check or add fluid to this tranny?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. check hot while idling in park laying on your back with arms over head... Its just that simple!!! ******* cost cutting and warranty reduction groups

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. check hot while idling in park laying on your back with arms over head... Its just that simple!!! ******* cost cutting and warranty reduction groups

Oh, and don't mind the catalytic converter that's in the way.... It's only glowing at roughly 4748205768302 degrees. It's such a ****** design.

OP
OP
nogm4me

nogm4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pirate Air, from your experience if it is a poop design, is it still a good tranny? I am impressed with it so far. Dave

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pirate Air, from your experience if it is a poop design, is it still a good tranny? I am impressed with it so far. Dave

The transmission itself is built stout. The shift programing is a little whacky and the electro valve packs have problems in some of the early models. So far havent seen any catastrophic failures.

OP
OP
nogm4me

nogm4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm coming from a ZF 6 speed 7.3L and this transmission seems to downshift when slowing with my foot off the gas..........like it is doing a "manual" downshift. I'm also pretty impressed in 6th gear with 4.10 gears the engine is turning @1,500 RPM @55-60mph. I haven't really put the hammer down yet.