What's your Test Drive Story...or your first time in any Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Temple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Purchase

I've always been into Fords and Ford trucks and the Raptor is my 5th. I've had my eye on the Raptor since it's introduction but never thought I'd own one. Events then transpired in my favor and I made the decision to sell my soul to the devil. After short but difficult negotiation, I placed an order at one of the local dealerships.

The Wait

I never asked for a DORA. I decided to just wait patiently for a few weeks before troubling the salesman about my truck's status. On checking near the end of the 5th week, I found that my truck was built just 2 days prior on 4/11/2012. The salesman then informed me my truck would arrive the following Wednesday and would be able to pick it up on Thursday.

My First Time - Picking it Up

Up to this point, the closest I had ever been to a Raptor was a couple drive-bys and a sold one sitting on a dealer's lot. The salesman was very cordial but I still sensed a bit of tension possibly going back to the negotiating process. I'm sure there was regret for letting the truck go for the price they did but it wasn't really all that ridiculous. I should have paid less to be honest. Anyway, after demonstrating the features of the truck to me, he asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. It was rush hour in Kalamazoo and the dealership is on a busy stretch of road that provided minimal opportunity to exit. I was anxious to see what the truck would do when I mashed the gas pedal and the slightest break in traffic was going to afford me that pleasure. Needless to say, the truck hooked up perfectly and with a couple of chirps, effectively launched us into an available lane. The salesman's arms flailed arms for something to hold as he mumbled something unintelligible and with that....... I felt a bit of satisfaction. As though I successfully got the last word in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mad Max

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Purchase
The salesman's arms flailed arms for something to hold as he mumbled something unintelligible and with that....... I felt a bit of satisfaction. As though I successfully got the last word in.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

These are great stories! Keep them coming!

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

*Reserved, lol.

Need to collect myself for this.

This sounds interesting! :popcorn:

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So mine is two part sort of.

Long time Ford truck guy, couple of Rangers, 2 Gen 2 Lightnings, a Gen 1 Lighting and an 02 FX4 Screw. (02 turned out to be mostly junk, but it made me realize I wanted a 4x4 Supercrew) The current Lightning is starting to morph into more of a dry day only vehicle so it was only a question of $$$.

I finally got promoted at work and it was my plan to get a Raptor as a gift to myself. I had started working on the CFO early so she was prepared for what I was going to do.

Anyway I find one on Craigslist here in town. Used 15k, all stock and arrange to meet and take it for a drive. Roll up on a rainy day to test drive after driving across town. Nice guy and a nice truck, take it out on some country roads and I am loving it. Guy is raving about the power not realizing the Lightning I showed up in is turboed so I am actually underwhelmed a little. Did a panic braking test and they guys handgun slides out from under the seat and wacks me in the foot. Interesting moment as I am trying to slide it back under the seat and keep the barrel pointed away from me.

So I WANT this truck. We talk cash a little, and then I go to the bank to figure things out and move some money around. All done but I have to wait for a week or so for a work check to clear before I can make it all happen. So I write up a small contract and give the guy some earnest money, the price was good so I figure it will go if I don't do this.

So during this deal I spy another Raptor at a dealer and go take a look. Just wanted to drive a second one to be sure that I had played the field a little here. Nicer truck for sure, but I can get the original one for a better price.

Anyway, money is all set up and I call the guy back. He tells me "I can't sell for the price we agreed on" total WTF moment there. We haggle about it a little and I am pretty pissed he is backing out on a deal we had signed a contract on.

I cool off a bit and call the salesman at the dealer to see if they still have the truck. They do and he asks for an offer, I chop 5k off of their price thinking they will laugh at me. Nope he says come pick it up!! (Crap should have lowballed more!!!)

So I do the deal on my current truck for just about what the other guy wanted for his truck. The truck I got had 10k less miles, all the mods you see below and I paid just about what the other guy wanted for his stock truck.

Oh yeah and I go my earnest money back too!

Thats all more of a how the deal was done but its a semi interesting story.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I ordered my Raptor, there was 2 engine options, the 5.4L and the 6.2L. I was on the fence about either motor. I was looking or an off road truck but a little extra power never hurt anyone right? Well the 5.4L had tons of mods and support including cams and superchargers. The 6.2L on the other hand came with 411hp.

Anyhow, The dealer didn't have any Raptors in stock and everyone he had on order was spoken for. Since the dealer was a friend and neighbor, he let me test drive his son's 5.4L Raptor. The Raptor was awesome! My only issue was the transmission just didn't seem to shift right on the 5.4L. When I got back to the dealership, I asked my friend if he would let me test drive one of the 6.2Ls he had on order. About 2 weeks later I got a call from him asking if I still wanted to test drive a 6.2. He mentioned a guy backed out on a 6.2 Raptor. So I took it out for a spin and it was love at first test drive! The transmission was smooth and the acceleration was perfect!! My only issue with it was the color, it was white and I wanted a Blue Flame raptor. So I had my friend order me a fully loaded 2010 6.2L Raptor minus the graphics early April 2010! He told me it would take about 4 weeks. About 4 weeks later I still hadn't hard about my truck, so I gave him a call. I'm not sure but I was told that ford had shut down production of the Raptor during the month of May (2010) due to an engine sensor issue. They had have a new one made and even had to recall a few Raptors over it. Again, not sure about that.

Anyways, the day finally came! June 2010, I got the call from the dealership informing me that my truck had arrived!! I dropped everything and rushed over to the dealership! Upon my arrival, the truck had already been unloaded and in their detail area having all the stickers etc removed. An hour later they handed me the keys and told me to take it home for the night. That first ride home was awesome! Those same roads that was a nightmare for my Harley truck was like riding on clouds in my raptor! The following day I returned to the dealership and to anti up. I felt like I was buying a house! once it was all done, the truck was mine...or was it? I mentioned fully loaded right? That also included a spray in bed liner. So I had to leave my new baby with the dealership to have the bed liner installed. The next day was like hell, I just bought this bad ass Raptor and I couldn't drive it or even stroke it in the driveway :( Nope, I had to wait an additional 36 hours with each one feeling like a needle piercing my gut lol

Once again, the day finally came, the dealership called and my baby had survived it's spray in bed liner!! Yeah! That was one of two times my truck has never been parked outside the house, the last time it spent the night at the dealership was to get a bunch of 60k stuff stuff, trans fluids, gear, lube etc changed.

My Raptor is pushing 5 years old with 75k~ on the clock and I still get a kick out of driving it!

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Mercedes G for almost a year. Unfortunately, new they are far too expensive, so I've been looking for a nice used 07/08 with 50k mi. One finally came available in our area. We drove 3h 1 way to look at it. It was a mess. Not what I feel a $50k truck should be like. To top it off, the tech is old and I'd need to spend another $10-15k for upgraded suspension, tires, wheels, etc to even make it off road ready.

One Saturday, we spent the whole day in and I was bored and ready to get out. I saw a raptor on YouTube and said 'honey, let's go look at them, it'll be fun'.

We test drove a 14 screw and it blew me away. The interior was just as nice as the Benz and the truck was off road ready. It has the tech, luxuries, power, kit, everything. The adjustable pedals mean that my 4'11 partner can also drive it like a regular human. She loves it!

I hate buying new because I don't want to eat the depreciation. I asked if they had one used, thinking that there would be no chance and we could go home. They just happened to have one. What year? 13. Color? Black. Miles? 13k. Hmm. Exactly the same as the 14 and loaded the same.

The next thing I know, we're picking a custom plate and getting an extended warranty.

Sold.

And here we are. With the same over landing plans with a different platform. It's my daily driver, but also a family obsession and hobby.

Prime Target

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved the Raptor when I first saw pics of it in late '09. My Avalanche started to need items so I figured I should trade it while I could still get decent $$$ for it. Decided the Raptor SCab would be better for me because the SCrew wouldn't fit in my garage. Started looking and decided on Tuxedo black. Found 2 online but when I called dealerships they were already sold. Found a used '13 SCab in Staten Islsnd and drove the hour south to look at it. 8k miles and 801 package. Tux black and nice shape. Once I drove it, the hook was set. Went back to the dealership and agreed on a very fair deal. Picked it up 2 days later. Owned it just about 6 months now and have no complaints. It's a great truck.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was my second time even looking at a Raptor, other than at a car show a month earlier. Never drove one; loved the Raptor so much, I declined the dealers offer for test drive before signing documents. I just wanted it to be mine :)

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a bitchin 2500HD but needed to trade. Test drove a Craptor on Saturday but couldn't meet I the price. Negotiated for a week to get him to come down. Pretty lame story.

slowest member of WCPR

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id never even touched one until I picked up the one I own! Best part was when I showed up in AZ to pick it up.... told the salesman I wanna drive it before starting any paper work. We hope in.... roll out of the parking lot and then Im straight ON IT! Even got the rear end loose on a few turns... Salesman was stoked! Apparently, everyone he takes on test drives, drive like grandmas. Damn near caught air on the driveway remp back into the dealer ship.

It was GLORIOUS!