What MODS for MPG increase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be towing my Lingenfelter TT vette from Hyannis MA to Tulsa OK starting on Sept. 4th for the 2014 Hot Rod Drag Week. This trip will be 1600+ miles each way towing the car on a uhaul trailer.

I originally picked the car up in Hattiesburg MS in April and towed it back up from there on the uhaul trailer getting an average of 12.5mpg at 70mph with the cruise on. For this new trip I'll have about 600lbs worth of gear and people in the truck/bed.

Wondering that mods would be the best bang for the buck to gain some MPG, and if the cost of the mods would actually loose me $$$ over the fuel saving gain.

My thoughts were and intake and a tune which would be about $700 or so as far as I can see. With that am I basically "cutting off my leg to save my foot" sort of thing?

- Travis

OP
OP
trayack

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last trip was in April, didn't need the A/C, just used the seats. Didn't get the sunroof so thats out. So would the tuner and intake just be wasted money?

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed really swings the MPG for me. Also, tank to tank I sometimes get a way different MPG. On this tank I have been getting great MPG. I usually drive about 71-72 on the freeways here with no stop and go. I will get around 13-13.5 MPG. On this tank for the first 100 miles of pure freeway I got 16.3 MPG. No idea why.

But If I slow down to 60 I get 17-18 all the time.