GEN 1 Twin Turbo 6.2 Raptor build: DIY Tri-Y turbo headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aksubiedubie,
OUTSTANDING!!!
I know you said you were going to wrap everything to minimize heat damage...be extra careful of those composite head/cam/valve covers....
VERY VERY NICE!!!!
Eddie

OP
OP
A

Aksubiedubie

Reaction score
***** taking way longer than I thought. Manifolds were a bitch to get out since nuts were kinda rusty.

Got the headers in. Valve covers on. Injectors in (pre filled with gas since returnless system). Iridium 1 heat range colder plugs in gapped to ~0.028".
Plug wires and harnesses tied up and PCM wiring wrapped with some reflective tape.

Working on the downpipes after work ocassionally and hoping to finish by this saturday. **** kit will have to wait but I just want it running. Sucks not having a truck haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aksubiedubie

Reaction score
It's done but the turbos surge below 2000rpm it's still there but acceptable until 3000 RPM and then it's fine. I tried playing with vacuum hoses and reconfiguring the hoses for crankcase ventilation to try and get the BPV open sooner but no luck.

If I add a pair of aftermarket blowoff valves with very light spring pressure I think it would help a lot by venting the air (flowing more), effectively moving the turbos out of the surge area. I don't have time for that right now.

I'm scrapping the install for now as I'm moving from AK to WA for pharmacy school in 2 months and I need the truck to finish getting my house shit done.

Ordered longtube headers and will just reconfigure the exhaust I built for it. Maybe after I get my PharmD I may try again.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm personally relieved, these setups have been somewhat dangerous from a heat standpoint. Not saying you couldn't do it safely but this gave some of the "pro" tuners a heck of a time and with some rather dramatic results.

Good call, safety third -

OP
OP
A

Aksubiedubie

Reaction score
I only got a couple WOT runs with like 5psi (no heat exchanger at the time, but only ~85 or 90*F IAT) and it felt pretty good for being down in timing. My only concern is surging and how close it is to the brake booster. Other than that, the wrap, turbo blankets, and aerogel did a great job at insulating the heat.

Downpipe is maybe 1" away from the brake booster reservoir and it doesn't get that hot when it was 80-85F for a few days. Either way, it's all coming off.

I tried to order headers from american muscle but they have TERRIBLE customer service. I even tried to order a different set that they said was in stock, but it wasn't with no lead time. Factory manifolds it is I guess.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i can say is insane. can i know what you were smoking ect when this ideal hit u? need it for my migraines lol. phenomenal work so far. hopefully u come back to it soon. and good luck in pharmacy school.