Transporting Raptor cross country?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that we drove ours from VA to Calgary and back 5 weeks after we bought it. We did 7380 miles in 15 days. Best road trip I have ever done and I would do it again tomorrow if I had the leave. Pack it up and enjoy the ride!!!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yukon Joe, The Macf and others argue that the Raptor is a superb road trip vehicle. I quite agree, and I have 16,000 miles of proof. I have recently completed a move from north Alabama to northern Nevada and completed 4 round-trip journeys in my 2011 Raptor. Two were with the bed loaded with household goods, and two where with the bed loaded and hauling rented U-Haul trailers. The Raptor performed beautifully no matter how it was loaded, but I would say that the "sail area" of the largest U-Haul trailer (6x12) was a fuel economy killer.

The Raptor will take you anywhere you want to go in North America. In my personal (and experienced) opinion, there is no better or finer way to travel. My advice, therefore, is to drive it. That's why you bought it, I presume.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will agree, all the times I have driven it long range it has been perfect. Was much nicer than when I drove my mustang to and from colorado & florida.

I'll be taking mine up to snoball from FL and while I most likely will utilize the auto train for part of it (unless fuel prices keep dropping) at least one way, the miles really don't bother me. Biggest thing is just time behind the wheel. As I get older I am much less inclined to do things like drive for 20+ hrs straight thru.

Towing it would never be on my list, now if someone else could transport it for me and I just pick her up and drop her off and get to fly that I would be all for.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I can sympathize with the OP. Your new truck is only new once. Cars are meant to be driven though.

The better half has been driving my older Audi on her 300 mile weekly commute. Granted her car is a Cabriolet better suited for summer drives it will go anywhere without issue. She takes my older car to keep the miles off her car and I laugh about it all the time.

After 2000 miles in the past month since I bought my Raptor I have been joking about driving her car to save miles on mine... then again we leave for Hayward, CA on Wednesday then Las Vegas, NV on Friday so I'll have to worry about the miles next time!!!

marioec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would drive it !!!
I also have a 2000 mile trip coming up and I can't wait to drive the raptor ... she only has 2500 miles :baby:

Last edited:

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with driving it that far, is if it breaks, then you have a long walk home...

At least if it's trailer-ed, and you wreck or break something, you can trailer it home and worry about it later.

I don't recommend using the Stealership in Escanaba, MI for any major repairs...YMMV

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your feedback of this subject. I am now DEFINITELY driving the Rap to/from Michigan for the SnoBall, especially since diesel is a buck+ more expensive than gas! Happy Holidays everyone!

MMM

I think you will be happy you did. I understand about the mileage thing but the Raptor just travels so well.

My wife and I agreed a long time ago that we would never buy anything we wouldn't "drive". I love cars that you just look at... as long as someone else paid for them and I get to look for free. :)