Thumping/Wind Noise at high speed from sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Screw with the sunroof. The sunroof motor has already given out on me and has been replaced under my extended warranty. I have also always had a loud thumping and wind noise coming from the sunroof area at freeway speeds. It seems as if something isn't sealing right and wind is flowing through the roof. (This has been happening since I bought the truck used and was hoping it would improve after dealership fixed the motor). Any tips or tricks on how to eliminate that noise or make sure everything is sealing? I don't get any water when it rains either.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Screw with the sunroof. The sunroof motor has already given out on me and has been replaced under my extended warranty. I have also always had a loud thumping and wind noise coming from the sunroof area at freeway speeds. It seems as if something isn't sealing right and wind is flowing through the roof. (This has been happening since I bought the truck used and was hoping it would improve after dealership fixed the motor). Any tips or tricks on how to eliminate that noise or make sure everything is sealing? I don't get any water when it rains either.

I've had the same experience on other vehicles with sun roof open. I just crack a window and it goes away.
Another reason to never order a sunroof, especially on an off road truck.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does it sit when closed?

The black rim around the glass should flush to 2mm up from the roof.

FYI
I can tell you that the dealer cannot buy parts for the sunroof, Ford only sells the complete rack assemble motor included.
Just had mine fixed three weeks ago. It's a $1,600 job at the dealer, glad mine was fixed under extended warranty.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
could it be the metal part of the roof "flapping"? try gently pushing down on the roof and see if it caves in and pops back. maybe the metal needs to be stretched with some heat and cold.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does it sit when closed?

The black rim around the glass should flush to 2mm up from the roof.

FYI
I can tell you that the dealer cannot buy parts for the sunroof, Ford only sells the complete rack assemble motor included.
Just had mine fixed three weeks ago. It's a $1,600 job at the dealer, glad mine was fixed under extended warranty.

It appears to be sitting flush. As I'm driving, I can see the actual glass moving up and down which would most likely be the cause of the sound. When my motor broke, the dealer replaced the entire assembly except for the glass. This is why it is so confusing to me as to why it did it both before and after I had it fixed.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

could it be the metal part of the roof "flapping"? try gently pushing down on the roof and see if it caves in and pops back. maybe the metal needs to be stretched with some heat and cold.

I can't push down in the middle of the roof and it caves in. As soon as I let go, it pops right back to normal if that's what you're talking about?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks, I would bring it back, tell them it's getting worse.
I believe there should be a one year warranty on the work performed.

I wouldn't tell them again that it did it before, but I didn't say that

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, I would bring it back, tell them it's getting worse.
I believe there should be a one year warranty on the work performed.

I wouldn't tell them again that it did it before, but I didn't say that ��

I may end up doing that this week. I loosened the four alignment screws inside and pushed the entire glass down a little further into the roof. Now it sits just a hair below the metal on the roof. I'll go for a test drive and see if this helps. It's extremely annoying to try and talk and have a peaceful drive on the freeway.