Sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I have mine completely off as well. Many benefits to taking it off for off road use. More nimble and quicker steering response.

Now I absolutely hate being the caution police, but, I must say that this is not something that everyone should be doing (this is not directed at anyone in particular). Whether anyone decides to do it, I don't care, but just know what your getting into. It drastically changes the way the truck handles corners at speed (on and off road). Many of these characteristics are favored among enthusiasts, but not so much for newbies.

Offroad, the truck will favor over steer and will rotate much quicker, which can catch many people off guard. Hard braking on loose surfaces will also rotate the truck with little steering input (can be a good or bad thing depending on who is behind the wheel). Mid corner bumps and ruts are handled much better.

On road, the truck can be a bit twitchy at high speed (80+) especially over mid corner bumps and will have a bit of sway with side winds. Emergency maneuvers are sketchy at best. Personally had a situation where I needed to avoid a deer running across the road, rear end stepped out and ended up drifting down the road at ~45° angle at approx 70 mph, luckily there was no traffic, and was dry weather. Pulled out of it, but just as much could have gone bad in the hands of someone inexperienced. Of course some additional body roll, which in the right situation, can result in becoming a motorcycle for a short time lol.

Again, not telling anyone what to do or not do, just a heads up of what you can expect in terms of handling differences.

-J

Rodbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my sway bar off a week ago. I got tell you it was a big difference in the ride for my Raptor on top perch. I tested it before and after to feel the difference at the mall on the speed bumps at an angle. Very noticeable improvement going over the bumps with the sway bar removed. I can't believe I didn't here about this option before. It staying off.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just took my sway bar off a week ago. I got tell you it was a big difference in the ride for my Raptor on top perch. I tested it before and after to feel the difference at the mall on the speed bumps at an angle. Very noticeable improvement going over the bumps with the sway bar removed. I can't believe I didn't here about this option before. It staying off.

Yeah, I took mine off a few months ago. Talked myself into to putting it back on the other day because I felt like the sway bar had kept the truck planted more in the twisties. I put it back on yesterday. Just feels like a 'better' truck with it off. Gotta slow down just a little bit for the off ramps, but other than that it just feels softer over the ****** Illinois roads we have.....

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine off last week. Initially truck felt like it has more body roll, especially at speed. When going 30 mph or faster, slightest movement of steering wheel makes truck roll up. That being said, the truck feels more firmly planted. when on entrance ramp at speed, truck leans hard... feels like front wheel may leave the ground, but truck feels like it holds the road better. When going over bumps at angle or while turning at speed, tires remain stuck on ground... no more tires hopping sideways. I think I'm leaving it off.

"Haynes Offroad" summed it up pretty well...

Last edited:

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine completely off as well. Many benefits to taking it off for off road use. More nimble and quicker steering response.

Now I absolutely hate being the caution police, but, I must say that this is not something that everyone should be doing (this is not directed at anyone in particular). Whether anyone decides to do it, I don't care, but just know what your getting into. It drastically changes the way the truck handles corners at speed (on and off road). Many of these characteristics are favored among enthusiasts, but not so much for newbies.

Offroad, the truck will favor over steer and will rotate much quicker, which can catch many people off guard. Hard braking on loose surfaces will also rotate the truck with little steering input (can be a good or bad thing depending on who is behind the wheel). Mid corner bumps and ruts are handled much better.

On road, the truck can be a bit twitchy at high speed (80+) especially over mid corner bumps and will have a bit of sway with side winds. Emergency maneuvers are sketchy at best. Personally had a situation where I needed to avoid a deer running across the road, rear end stepped out and ended up drifting down the road at ~45° angle at approx 70 mph, luckily there was no traffic, and was dry weather. Pulled out of it, but just as much could have gone bad in the hands of someone inexperienced. Of course some additional body roll, which in the right situation, can result in becoming a motorcycle for a short time lol.

Again, not telling anyone what to do or not do, just a heads up of what you can expect in terms of handling differences.

-J

Had the same experience when I took my off also......Although one suggestion would be to revalve the front shocks to take away some of the roll by adding more compression dampening, could also add a little to the rears.

wakko0o

Reaction score
I took mine off last week. Initially truck felt like it has more body roll, especially at speed. When going 30 mph or faster, slightest movement of steering wheel makes truck roll up. That being said, the truck feels more firmly planted. when on entrance ramp at speed, truck leans hard... feels like front wheel may leave the ground, but truck feels like it holds the road better. When going over bumps at angle or while turning at speed, tires remain stuck on ground... no more tires hopping sideways. I think I'm leaving it off.

"Haynes Offroad" summed it up pretty well...

How does it feel when hitting these "bumps" direct? I have a few bumps on the route to work and home at about 40-50mph and the truck feel like it hoops, I have to constantly slow down and risk someone rear ending me [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If both wheels hit at same time, like a speed bump, no change. If you hit one side at a time, truck eats them up better... each front wheel will work independently as intended.

wakko0o

Reaction score
Even tho the truck feels amazing tackling the NYC streets I wouldn't mind a smoother front end. I will try this. Thank you guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk