Securing Items in Bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a short and simple question, what is the best way to secure a good off-roading load/kit without drilling my bed?

I have a RetraxPro and all but I do not want to cut into the Retrax rails unless absolutely necessary. Now I also know that what I am asking is neigh-impossible but isn't there another way to secure things in the bed? I do not want to drill my bed either because as I learned in some home renovations, the ugly outdated additions that are removed leave unsightly reminders in the walls, similarly I do not want to add/drill in the bed for some mounting equipment only to realize its cheap or not the best and thus unused leave holes in my bed.

I'm treading carefully because once the bed is drilled its permanent. So I'm curious isn't there some form fitting case that could sit against the bed wall and in between the rear-wheel area that wouldn't move around? I'm kind of desperate right now.

Looking to secure:

-Pull Pal RW16000 (57 lbs)
-(2) Complete ARB Recovery Bags laden w/ equipment (~25 lbs each)
-(1) Big Bubba Rope w/ Tree Saver & Lifeline
-(4) XD TREDs Sets (total of 8 boards)
-(1) Stanley FatMat ***** III wrecking bar
-(4) Tailgunneroffroad Offroad Wheel Chocks
-(1) HiLift Xtreme 60"

I've basically got a dream set up for equipment here but I know better than to go Hard since without properly securing this all, it could be dangerous.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Tom

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without drilling it seems to me you're going to have to use something that ties down to the bed bolts.

First, and probably best, idea for off-road would to get a chase rack that has mounts for some of that stuff and room for an action packer for the rest.

Another idea would be to just get some more tie downs (I used these mopar ones) And secure a box or action packer that way.... but I don't know how hard I'd beat on that setup, seems like things might still come loose.

Yet another Idea I've toyed with is mounting a box (action packer etc) into the bed by drilling holes into it and holding it down with a plate and the bed bolts.

Undercover makes a "swing case" that goes between the tailgate and wheel well, seems pretty small though.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without drilling it seems to me you're going to have to use something that ties down to the bed bolts.

First, and probably best, idea for off-road would to get a chase rack that has mounts for some of that stuff and room for an action packer for the rest.

Another idea would be to just get some more tie downs (I used these mopar ones) And secure a box or action packer that way.... but I don't know how hard I'd beat on that setup, seems like things might still come loose.

Yet another Idea I've toyed with is mounting a box (action packer etc) into the bed by drilling holes into it and holding it down with a plate and the bed bolts.

Undercover makes a "swing case" that goes between the tailgate and wheel well, seems pretty small though.

See I'd be more inclined to do what you just said at the very least, it would involve only modifying the "box" and not my actual bed for when/if I need to remove it.

Another reason for me wanting to keep the RetraxPro and not go full on Chase Rack is because right now I'm in the Navy and I find more often than naught I need some quick storage space. I unfortunately do not have the luxury or blessing of a civilian girlfriend or sponsor family that could store my stuff in a hurry, also I often have to make quick decisions so last-minute "Hey can I leave this with ya'll for a week or two, k-thanks-bye" would get old very quickly.

I hope more people have given this some thought and can help me out. I'd really like some more attention on this.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome Phyguy. I would consider that too but I'm also running the F150 bed mat so I'd have to cut that as well, not THAT big of a deal truthfully. I think I will call Outlaw tomorrow and discuss some options with them.

However can someone please check dimensions for me?

I think I might have found a temporary but mobile solution: Pelican 0550 Transport Case.

Here are the dimensions: Product Dimensions: 52 x 29 x 23 inches ; 78 pounds

If someone could please measure the bed area w/ the bed extender extended on the inside of the bed, and tell me the space(s) measured I'd really appreciate it. Sorry I can't do this myself guys but I have obligations on base that prevent me from leaving to go to my truck that is parked off-base parking.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just purchased a bed rack from XRD. Forum member and vendor here too. You can check it out on Facebook. The link in vendor section will take you to his Facebook. I have been using a large metal truck box I picked up at Tractor Supply that I secured with straps to the d rings I installed on the bed bolts. That method was very secure on many off road trips. Now I just want it to be better organized and easier to pack so I went with the rack.