The reasons why I can't justify buying a Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on the looks and iconic stature of the Gen 1s. They are just too distinctive that even non-truck/car enthusiasts do a double take and wonder "what kind of a truck is that? something about it looks different from the other trucks I see on the road."

Also, this is subtle, but the black housing trimmed tail lights of the gen 1s really give it that "SVT" sporty look if that makes sense. I get that the regular FX4s of that body style had black housing tail lights as well, but you take those tail lights coupled with the Smooth gradual transition flares of the front and rear side panels, it really just takes the cake...head on or from the rear perspective.

Now, the RAM TRX...admittedly gives the gen 1 a run for its money.

David

Yes Sir, I agree. IF, big if, the RAM TRX goes into production in the CURRENT form I will be there to test drive the first one that comes to town. However, I see them ******** it up or they are gonna have to be way higher than the said 50k.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 1 = rounded fenders = sexy.
Gen 2 = flat sided fenders = every other truck made in the last 40 years.

I don't like the Gen 2 grille shape either. Too catfish mouth-ish.

Mashed the gas some this morning to make a light, it sounds so good, even with a stock exhaust. Love the V8, despite it's crappy mileage.

It gets comments constantly- I was leaving the lumber yard last night and the guy at the gate was looking at the truck more than what I had in the bed. Gave me a "That's a real nice truck" comment as he raised the gate. Soon after, my nephew's GF was looking at my truck parked next to a 2011 XLT and said the Raptor looks like a pitbull sitting next to a ankle biter. Thought that was kind of funny.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
OP really hit the nail on the head. I can't justify throwing down the kind of cash they want for one. even at sticker for the 802A I'd want it's $69k-ish so it's north of 70 OTD. That's a lot of damn money.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP really hit the nail on the head. I can't justify throwing down the kind of cash they want for one. even at sticker for the 802A I'd want it's $69k-ish so it's north of 70 OTD. That's a lot of damn money.

Agreed. Not to sound like a broken record or cliche, but for me personally, if it had the V8, it would be significantly more difficult for me to not want to buy a Gen 2.

That said, the gen 1s are fantastic and superior (in my opinion) on looks alone. I feel blessed and proud every day I drive it. It's the best part of my work day :)

David

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Agreed. Not to sound like a broken record or cliche, but for me personally, if it had the V8, it would be significantly more difficult for me to not want to buy a Gen 2.

That said, the gen 1s are fantastic and superior (in my opinion) on looks alone. I feel blessed and proud every day I drive it. It's the best part of my work day :)

David

V8 would be nice for sure. I just like the reliability of that NA 6.2 or 5.4 (in my case). They're just rock solid. Turbos are fun, but they're more to worry about too.

As a whole package, it's a great truck, but it's not enough for me to bail on my Gen1. I understand the first-time guys' attachment to it though because I obsessed over the exact truck I had since the first Ford PR releases. I think that has something to do with my bias.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chip bags are mostly made from metalized polypropylene. This essentially will never decompose. Now Sun Chips had this great initiative to come up with a biodegradable bag.

They were successful!!! It was made from corn cellulose, and 100% compostable! We went from petroleum based poly bags that never degrade ever, to a corn based bags that you can throw in the compost pile!!

This is the greatest thing ever!!

But wait.... The bags were loud... people didnt like the sound. Everything about it was great, but the bag was crinkly.

Sun Chips discontinued the bag and went back to poly.

going from a 6.2 to a 3.5tt ford gained horsepower, gained torque, moved that torque curve lower, and increased gas mileage doing it. And all you sunchips can do is complain about the sound. Its quite ridiculous.

Gen 1 owners shall now be referred to as sunchips from now on.