Raptor- Gas-Capless, how's that work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't poked and prodded around the gas tank opening yet... but how does a "capless" opening like that work?

You try pushing the metal flap with your finger and it doesn't move/open, but you can use a gas nozzel or the adapter they give you to use a portable can... what's the magic trick?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two small buttons on the sides. When the buttons are pushed in by the right diameter tube, the metal door is allowed to open. If you inspect your fill opening closely you can see the two little buttons.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are two metal tabs on each side around 9 and 3 o'clock that have to be pressed in to open.

Reaction score
such a ****** design especially for a truck specifically designed to be in the dirt!!!

have had to replace a few of them

D

Deleted member 12951

For $20 you can get the locking plug and it seals it up. I use it currently on my King Ranch and will move it over to my Raptor. No issues with it what so ever.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like it for everyday fill ups as its zero chance of me leaving the cap off. And zero chance of the cap strap breaking as no cap and no strap.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More and more companies are going to the capless fuel system and there are a few designs. Not all of them have locking doors, and some have two doors, which is more of what Ford is moving to with an upper door to help keep dirt out. I have not had any issues on my Raptor even with fine salt spray getting into the fill area. I like the design.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can actually open it with your thumb, if you really want to. I wouldn't recommend this though, unless you have your phone close by. You know, to call 911, when your thumb gets stuck. YMMV.

verytalonted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a orange putt putt golf ball in their as an extra dirt blocker...
And gives me something to bouce on the ground while I wait for ~$100 tab at the pump.

Also a good converstaion peice when other fill up my truck....

"Why do you have a golf ball in there?"
"What!?!? You don't???"