Power Steering Pump Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Heat is an issue and fluid cavitation. In my case my PS pump would get very loud off-road even with my Icon PS res/cooler. The fill line is way too low on the reservoir.

No matter then level you will get pressure bleed from the top and I found filling it to 7/8 full has not caused any serious spillage and my PS pump has remained very quiet off-road.

I have checked the fluid temp several times while off-road and it's never hot so I know my PS cooler is working good. It was the fluid that would bounce around (not being full) and creating air pockets.

Two runs now and so far no PS issues!

OP
OP
RDUBPhoto

RDUBPhoto

Reaction score
Heat is an issue and fluid cavitation. In my case my PS pump would get very loud off-road even with my Icon PS res/cooler. The fill line is way too low on the reservoir.

No matter then level you will get pressure bleed from the top and I found filling it to 7/8 full has not caused any serious spillage and my PS pump has remained very quiet off-road.

I have checked the fluid temp several times while off-road and it's never hot so I know my PS cooler is working good. It was the fluid that would bounce around (not being full) and creating air pockets.

Two runs now and so far no PS issues!

Did you ever have to change your own pump or did you just do this before it failed? I'm wondering the procedure before I dive in.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Did you ever have to change your own pump or did you just do this before it failed? I'm wondering the procedure before I dive in.

I haven't changed my own PS pump yet, it has been replaced under warranty by the dealer.

If you know how to turn your own wrench it's not a big deal. For me, I know just enough to be dangerous so if I don't have supervision I get someone to do it :)

Last edited:

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the service manual page:

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).jpg
    Screenshot (8).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 242

engine45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a part number for that f250 res? and any pics of it installed yet? also cooler pics and or part number.

OP
OP
RDUBPhoto

RDUBPhoto

Reaction score

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worm gear clamps are junk. OEM type spring clamps or t-bolt clamps are what I'd go with.

Why not go with the bigger Superduty res? You can still check the fluid level easily and it looks OEM.

OP
OP
RDUBPhoto

RDUBPhoto

Reaction score
Worm gear clamps are junk. OEM type spring clamps or t-bolt clamps are what I'd go with.

Why not go with the bigger Superduty res? You can still check the fluid level easily and it looks OEM.

What year super duty? I assume this is the diesel model you are talking about?