New guy with a few towing mod questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
8k dry your having a ******* laugh go buy a super duty or go kill some innocent people through your recklessness as long as you stay a few states away. As I said read your owners manual, check the limits weight your shit and on truck payload (passengers + cargo + tongue weight) if you exceed a number on the owners manual go buy the correct truck for the job!

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

It's all @Jimbos fault!
@Jimbo quit making him so mad, especially at the newb's!

D

Deleted member 12951

@Enigma94

One thing about the search here as you already most likely found out is it isn't that great and on the threads you did find, you probably had to read through a bunch of ********. I have found myself not having the time to read so much nonsense that it seemed quicker to just ask the point blank questions and hope that people can answers those and move on. One thing that seems to help others is if you searched tell us that in the beginning of your post and explain the shortcomings like you did in your reply, that will go a long ways and you might not get those t_j like responses.

FRF is a great place and can be very entertaining too. If you are towing 8500lbs plus the weight in the bed and cab with passengers than you are over the limit this truck was designed for and not safe to drive regardless if it works or not. Adding leafs does not allow it to go over the limit, it just makes the ride better when you are getting closer to the limit and even better when you stay below it. Nobody here is going to recommend to go over unless you buy a truck that is designed for the weight. You are putting yourself and others on the road at risk and it is just not responsible.

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Enigma94

One thing about the search here as you already most likely found out is it isn't that great and on the threads you did find, you probably had to read through a bunch of ********. I have found myself not having the time to read so much nonsense that it seemed quicker to just ask the point blank questions and hope that people can answers those and move on. One thing that seems to help others is if you searched tell us that in the beginning of your post and explain the shortcomings like you did in your reply, that will go a long ways and you might not get those t_j like responses.

FRF is a great place and can be very entertaining too. If you are towing 8500lbs plus the weight in the bed and cab with passengers than you are over the limit this truck was designed for and not safe to drive regardless if it works or not. Adding leafs does not allow it to go over the limit, it just makes the ride better when you are getting closer to the limit and even better when you stay below it. Nobody here is going to recommend to go over unless you buy a truck that is designed for the weight. You are putting yourself and others on the road at risk and it is just not responsible.

Most search features on forums suck, its not just this one. It does help if you know what category to search under, which I didn't, but I usually just use google then look through posts under each forum.

Now let me ask you this, if all the major components are the exact same or beefier as a regular F150(Frame, drive line, axles ect) and the regular F150 can tow 11,000LBS then what exactly makes towing over 8,000LBS dangerous if you take measures to stiffen up the suspension(which everybody seems to have narrowed down as the weight limiting factor)?

Most people have said in other posts that its the weight of the tow vehicle, but the stock F150 and the raptor weight about the same. Some people say its the soft suspension, which would be addressed somewhat with the new leafs. I'm at a loss for why people feel its "soo dangerous" if the problem areas are addressed.

I have not towed with the truck as I pick the trailer up Tuesday, so im am not trying to say you guys are wrong im just legitimately curious as to why you feel its so dangerous, so i can try and address the issues if possible.

Also, the trailer will be 8500LBS TOTAL. that with everything, people, gear, EVERYTHING. So its not like im THAT far away from the max tow limit set by ford. If I were looking to tow any more than 9K Id get a 3/4 Ton with a diesel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Most search features on forums suck, its not just this one. It does help if you know what category to search under, which I didn't, but I usually just use google then look through posts under each forum.

Now let me ask you this, if all the major components are the exact same or beefier as a regular F150(Frame, drive line, axles ect) and the regular F150 can tow 11,000LBS then what exactly makes towing over 8,000LBS dangerous if you take measures to stiffen up the suspension(which everybody seems to have narrowed down as the weight limiting factor)?

Most people have said in other posts that its the weight of the tow vehicle, but the stock F150 and the raptor weight about the same. Some people say its the soft suspension, which would be addressed somewhat with the new leafs. I'm at a loss for why people feel its "soo dangerous" if the problem areas are addressed.

I have not towed with the truck as I pick the trailer up Tuesday, so im am not trying to say you guys are wrong im just legitimately curious as to why you feel its so dangerous, so i can try and address the issues if possible.

Also, the trailer will be 8500LBS TOTAL. that with everything, people, gear, EVERYTHING. So its not like im THAT far away from the max tow limit set by ford. If I were looking to tow any more than 9K Id get a 3/4 Ton with a diesel.

No matter what you do to the truck, the tow ratings that left the factory do not change. It's going to put you into a liability issues.

Hope this article helps, as it applies not to just HD trucks.
Towing Liability: Pickup Tow Ratings explained | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what you do to the truck, the tow ratings that left the factory do not change. It's going to put you into a liability issues.

Hope this article helps, as it applies not to just HD trucks.
Towing Liability: Pickup Tow Ratings explained | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

I understand no matter what I do the manufacturer set limit will not change, I'm just simply asking why people feel if this number is exceeded with proper changes to the suspension why they still feel its dangerous with knowing its the same truck as a regular F150 minus the suspension(and obvious other changes)

That article is a great read with some good info. From a legal perspective I completely understand what its saying and you and others are trying to convey. In all likelihood I'll tow the trailer dry if going long distances to stay within the 8,000LBS. But will at some point have 8,500LBS to tow, weather its on a dirt road or a few miles to the camp spot so this is why the thread was created.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would go for it. Unfortunately it seems that you are set on it. We all exceed the manufacturers suggestions on other things that we do with our trucks. We put bigger tires on them, drive them faster, move them to mid perch, yada, yada, yada.

I'm not saying that it is safe to do so, or that I would do it, but why let a bunch of guys that have owned their trucks for a while and have done a lot of research on them tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your truck? I mean, what do we know anyway? I would say just about every search you will make regarding this issue, you will see a lot of owners saying not to do it. But whatever......... Not trying to be hateful or anything, but it appears that whatever others have said to this point doesn't really matter to you.

Just make sure you don't actually identify yourself either with your name or on youtube so when something drastically goes wrong, your insurance company or warranty company can't pin you down on it.

Good luck with your endeavor, and there are plenty of us here ready to sell you whatever you think you might need to make your Raptor a hauling machine.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It has plenty of power well the 6.2 dose. You'll need both springs and rear swaybar and make sure your rotors are big enough. All you'll get is a ticket the first time you get stopped. 4 times a year is not much keep an eye on stuff it will wear out faster.

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for it. Unfortunately it seems that you are set on it. We all exceed the manufacturers suggestions on other things that we do with our trucks. We put bigger tires on them, drive them faster, move them to mid perch, yada, yada, yada.

I'm not saying that it is safe to do so, or that I would do it, but why let a bunch of guys that have owned their trucks for a while and have done a lot of research on them tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your truck? I mean, what do we know anyway? I would say just about every search you will make regarding this issue, you will see a lot of owners saying not to do it. But whatever......... Not trying to be hateful or anything, but it appears that whatever others have said to this point doesn't really matter to you.

Just make sure you don't actually identify yourself either with your name or on youtube so when something drastically goes wrong, your insurance company or warranty company can't pin you down on it.

Good luck with your endeavor, and there are plenty of us here ready to sell you whatever you think you might need to make your Raptor a hauling machine.

1.) I'm not trying to make my raptor a towing machine. I've simply asked what would be the best suspension modifications to allow me to tow at, or a little beyond the manufacturers weight limit.

2.) I'm not discounting any of the info that you seasoned owners have been posting. You're saying its dangerous to exceed the limit set by Ford for the Raptor, I'm asking if the major components on the raptor are the same as the F150 with a tow limit of 11k LBS WHAT EXACTLY makes it SOOOO much more dangerous to go past the 8k limit by a few hundred pounds. Everything I have read says the soft suspension is the reason, which if correct, would be addressed with some stiffer springs/bump stops. If this is not the ONLY difference for the drop in tow weight between the 2 PLEASE INFORM ME OF THE OTHER REASONS. That's literally all I've been trying to find out this whole time....

3.) I don't post anything on social media, and I definitely would be smart enough not to post anything where legal liability could come in to play. I've been in accidents before and nothing was every posted till after settlement for this reason.

It has plenty of power well the 6.2 dose. You'll need both springs and rear swaybar and make sure your rotors are big enough. All you'll get is a ticket the first time you get stopped. 4 times a year is not much keep an eye on stuff it will wear out faster.

I'm not sure how they would issue me a ticket, unless they somehow had a warrant to seize the trailer and truck and took it to a weigh station and concluded I was over the set limit for the truck.