M shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I miss the rev matching on the downshifts from my 06 Infiniti but it does what you ask it. The button placement also seems to be an afterthought.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2010, so no buttons on my shifter.

I do prefer to select my own gears off-road though. Paddle-shifters would be the ish on these trucks.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, it's a useful feature offroad but to that end, I'd have preferred an honest to goodness manual or at least a paddle shifted SMG. Beyond that, I leave it in drive and use the use the range selection option to lockout higher gears if needed.

KTM RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, it's a useful feature offroad but to that end, I'd have preferred an honest to goodness manual or at least a paddle shifted SMG. Beyond that, I leave it in drive and use the use the range selection option to lockout higher gears if needed.

A manual tranny would have sold me :Jedi:

Unfortunately I still gave into the auto trans :supergay:

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda like it sometimes.... you just need to play with it a bit and get used to it.

It will downshift for you if you forget (I usually do), and it allows me to hold a gear longer in traffic, or rolling down the beach without it shifting up and gaining speed.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
As for the "Full manual" mode...not particularly impressed by it. Seems to be very slow to activate. It's thus not useful or fun in normal on-road conditions.

I may enjoy it more for going up the hill to Brian Head where there are a few places where I want a truck to hold 2nd or 3rd gear and NOT go into first regardless of throttle position...haven't had an opportunity to need that yet. My 2004 GMC wouldn't do this and it would seriously **** me off when it shifted to first (even with gear selector in "2"). I think the 2010s can do this too though (1/2/3).

I am impressed by tow haul and off road mode's automatic shift schedules. Tow/haul works great for descending paved mountain roads and not burning up the brakes. The offroad mode schedule seems to keep the transmission in very low gears when climbing fireroads and such, even when you let off in flat sections.

I also really like the "progressive shift select" mode, where you can quickly force downshifts when in D and limit the max gear. Very intuitive and easy to access. Given this feature, I pretty much never use M on pavement.

Last edited:

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I should add that I'm expecting the feature to be handy on my annual trek to Birmingham. My sister lives in a neighborhood that was literally blasted out the side of a mountain. Both her street and several surrounding roads have grades steep enough that I would normally leave a vehicle in third or second gear for a descent to help reduce the need to braking to keep the vehicle under the speedlimit. Nearly all points of interest seem to be on the side of a mountain or on a summit (oddly enough they even call one of their malls 'The Summit.') Everything else is down a very steep hill from where ever I've been last.

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ my 2010 stays in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear hold and does not come out of it. 2nd or 3rd is all you really need to be locked in anyway. I guess it would be cool off road, but Id rather have both hands on the wheel if I had to make an evasive manuver.