GEN 1 The last Ford product I'll ever buy....not in a good way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, this won't be a happy go lucky post and I'll try to keep the rant to a bare min.

To preface, I'm an LEO, so I drive ford products literally for a living....unfortunately. As I'm the shift Sergeant my vehicle in an Expedition
(when its not broken) and other times one of the Interceptor SUV's. I tried to put my poor experiences aside from our work vehicles and ended up special ordering a 2013 Raptor SCab. I was extremely hesitant in this purchase as a result of my negative experiences with our cruisers. However, I personally knew the head tech at the dealership I ordered the truck from and was more than confident in his abilities. Sadly, two years ago he was tragically killed in a sky diving accident.

Over the last few years I've experience the "normal" Raptor related issues and sort of just sucked it up....until now.

Roughly two months ago I noticed that the rear suspension seemed stiffer than I remember it ever being before, but had kind of just blown it off knowing that sometimes the cold weather will effect the shocks a bit. At the end of last month it had gotten worse and I now noticed that the truck would shudder pretty badly as the rear suspension unloaded after a bump.

Thinking maybe the vibration dampener had failed (again) I took it in to the dealership. Once there they drove the truck and also noticed that something was amiss. The dampener was intact this time, but they found that the left rear shock was not performing correctly and was actually making a fair amount of noise.

Please note that my truck currently has 28,000 miles on it, and at that time was 2 months past its 3 year factory warranty. I purchased the Ford extended warranty at the end of my first year of ownership but we all know that it does not cover the Fox shocks.

The dealership notified Ford of the issue, who promptly denied the claim. The head of the service department actually recommended that I contact Ford Customer Service to see if they would be willing to change their mind regarding the issue seeing the low mileage, and that the truck had only been out of the 36 month warranty by 2 months. At that point Customer Service told me to bring the truck back into the dealership so that they could go through the paperwork one more time and get to the bottom of the issue....great news I thought. They did state that I would have to leave the truck there until this was resolved, which was a bummer as its my Daily Driver.

Over a week goes by and the dealership calls me....guess what. After all of this, Ford denies to fix the issue....AGAIN.

I'm so completely over this company and their lack of standing by their product. I purchased their top tear truck, a truck that was claimed to concur Baja, although mine has lived on road for 99% of its mileage, and the only off roading its seen has been 20mph on the beach in the summer months. I'm insanely **** with my vehicles, and have built several cars from the bare chassis on up at this point, so I'm not someone that can be BS'd when it comes to anything automotive.

Just to top it off, I had the truck up on my lift (I'm fortunate enough to have a full working garage) changing the oil at the beginning of this week and noticed that the front right shock is now pissing shock oil out of the shaft seal at an alarming rate. Keep in mind I'd just cleaned the shock less than 2000 miles ago, yeah...I'm that ****.

Left Rear Shock
93EE76B6-8F6F-4BBE-8CE0-A36A60C91EB7_zpsjfvcymid.jpg

Right Rear Shock
C51CEB4E-C6B6-4482-B46C-C5FA5476B2D2_zpssgi4gvea.jpg

Left Front Shock
9A572462-8588-4A61-9A79-1A189EF27745_zpsfcwdpso2.jpg

Right Front Shock
2ED1FB5A-F6F5-4638-AF03-E890C2FCEC76_zpsmho2jrdr.jpg

At this point I'm pretty upset that I'll have to come out of pocket to fix the issues with my truck, an even more upset regarding how ford has chosen to handle, or not handle this (these) issues.

I will say that I am very pleased with all the dealership has done for me and will continue to support them with future purchases, as they are also a Dodge dealer. Who knows, at this rate....maybe a Power Wagon is in my future.

- Travis

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironic you post this….My recent experience…

So around October of last year I hear this weird squeaking from the rear of the vehicle when I first begin to move from a total stop, its really annoying, and only on the left side. I bring it in and Ford tells the dealer to clean between the leafs and apply lube to them. I take the truck and less than an hour later same squeak. The truck is my daily driver so I have to wait a little bit to bring it back. A few weeks later I bring it back and Ford tells them to change the pads between the leafs. They do, I leave and the squeak is right back. Now it makes a weird chirping noise three times when I take off from a dead stop.

I am forced, from work, to take the truck out of state for a few months, and just can't get it worked on again. I also contact "Crystal" on the board here and she initially replies to my issues about it and then disappears, after three messages, and doesn't reply anymore. She's pointless.

The chirping doesn't stop. I bring it back to Ford and tell them its got to be fixed. They decided to change the left (only) leaf spring. Of course still doesn't fix it. They then put "chassis ear" on it and determine its coming from the rear left shock when the vehicle first starts to move. The dealer tells me that because of the TSB that they can't touch the shock and its "normal" operation. I told them I didn't buy a 65,000dollar truck to have normal squeaks out of it. They direct me to Ford customer complaints.

I speak to the regional rep for Ford and she says she will contact the dealer and get back to me. Three days later she leaves me a voicemail that its normal for noises from the shock (Although the TSB specifically says while moving and going over bumps) and she is closing the case. So now I have a premier Ford product that chirps when it moves.

So, my best friend is an attorney, and he suggested a wonderful idea. Take them to small claims court here. They are NOT allowed to bring an attorney to court, and have to only send a dealership representative, and the courts usually side with the victim in these types of cases when a big manufacturer is ******* the consumer. So, it will only cost me a few bucks to bring them to court and one day off work. And they deserve it for this.

Oh…yeah. This is my fifth Ford product, and my last. I totally forgot how Ford works.

NOLA

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Forgot to add, still under initial 3/36 warranty when this occurred.

And before the haters even start. I don't recall signing a "we won't replace the shocks we put on the truck" disclaimer when I bought the truck, nor did they tell me that they wont touch the shocks. Imagine bringing in a 2014 Ford F-150 and the shock is leaking everywhere. It would get replaced under warranty without question. Why is this truck different to have exceptions to the warranty procedures ?? If I didn't abuse it, and I certainly don't drive it hard, they how can they decide we aren't fixing certain parts we decided to put on it ?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ford support is gone from the forum.

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg