how do i learn to run without breaking shit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
ive had my truck for about 2 weeks, and in the time ive taken it off road on some trails in nevada. everytime i take it out i almost wreck. the first corner i hit i laid into the throttle too hard and almost went through a fence, high centered it on a 20 foot dirt mound and then today i went off the trail into a ditch about 40 mph. the advance trac said it needed service after that. then i jumped it on accident. after visually inspecting everything everything is still in great shape nothing wrong at all. these trucks are tough as shit, my old truck would have been totalled by now. im just looking for some helpful tips when offroading not to do these type of things again.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Seat time, seat time, seat time!!!

With more seat time you will learn to read terrain faster and this will allow you to learn the truck and how it handles

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you prerun before you go out on the trails?

Anyone else with a raptor go out on said trails?

Sounds like you are going to fast/reckless for a truck you only had for two weeks.

Takes time to learn how the truck reacts to certain terrains,bumps, turns etc. Go slow and work your way up.

OP
OP
FordraptorHero

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Do you prerun before you go out on the trails?

Anyone else with a raptor go out on said trails?

Sounds like you are going to fast/reckless for a truck you only had for two weeks.

Takes time to learn how the truck reacts to certain terrains,bumps, turns etc. Go slow and work your way up.

today i was going about 45 nothing crazy when the trail swung hard to the right and what was left in front of me was about a 10-15 foot drop off into sage brush and some other shit. went right into there, I guess i should pre-run the trail slower next time and learn it.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I first went on a pre-run out in Moab. I'm sure other's first time was different. But my first experience was with several other more experienced owners. We put the Raptor through it's paces, but at a controlled speed. Rock crawling, water traversing, sandy wash running, etc. I was always towards the rear watching what the more experienced drivers were doing.

Then came the Texas Raptor Run (TRR). That was a true learning experience. Lots of other trucks there and a LOT of more experienced drivers. Got to watch and learn what they did in all kinds of terrain. From there I just did my own thing until the Colorado Raptor Run. That was yet another learning experience.

The best way to learn is from watching others with more experience than you. Then ease into it and get to learn what the Raptor is capable of. Understanding that some guys have a lot more capable truck than you is key as well. Just take your time and learn how to read the terrain and understand how your particular truck can handle it.

There are a lot of totaled out Raptors out there because guys didn't 'listen' to their trucks and pushed it way past what their or their truck's capabilities were. These things are tough, but risking personal injury or expensive repairs just for the sake of saying you did it, is not smart or prudent.

Go on some runs with other guys and take it easy. Have fun!!!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are definitely going too hard. take it easy. depending where in nevada you are, the roc guys are out there quite often. you may want to go with them on tbeir next event

D

Deleted member 12951

Seat time is key. Everyone says to not drive beyond your limit. But how do you know what that limit is unless you get close to it and realize that is where it is. I can tell you that you can roll these trucks and the frame can be bent. Once you get to that point, then you tend to back off. I don't drive like I used to and it makes you a safer driver but can still have fun..

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today i was going about 45 nothing crazy when the trail swung hard to the right and what was left in front of me was about a 10-15 foot drop off into sage brush and some other shit. went right into there, I guess i should pre-run the trail slower next time and learn it.

If you had bought a lighter, more powerful, more technologically advanced jen 2 you could have utilized the technology package to select the "pegasus" mode by merely touching the "pegasus" picture on your nav screen, thereby engaging the patented jen 2 wings which would allow you to fly gently and safely back to the trail, cushioned by your technologically advanced stock 3.0 fox shocks. unfortunately even in pegasus mode it still sounds like a v6.

sorry, couldnt resist. my gen 1 bears the scars of testing the limits: see cab strikes, a bed that as in posted by another member here resembles being spread like a 2 dollar ******, having to shim the bed to compensate for a bent frame (is it really overdriving if your cd doesnt skip but your frame bends?), bashed in skid plates, even threw a tailgate on a kicker one day, gone through a fair amount of inner fenderliners and more flat tires than i can count. seriously, be careful, you can get hurt and or killed, lots of good advice here.

Peattie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had my truck for about 2 weeks, and in the time ive taken it off road on some trails in nevada. everytime i take it out i almost wreck. the first corner i hit i laid into the throttle too hard and almost went through a fence, high centered it on a 20 foot dirt mound and then today i went off the trail into a ditch about 40 mph. the advance trac said it needed service after that. then i jumped it on accident. after visually inspecting everything everything is still in great shape nothing wrong at all. these trucks are tough as shit, my old truck would have been totalled by now. im just looking for some helpful tips when offroading not to do these type of things again.

What part of Nevada are you in?