Help before I buy a toyhauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtfan54

Reaction score
Ok I'll make this quick I have a 2013 raptor crew cab and have aftermarket wheels and heavy duty tires along with the aftermarket SDHQ rear long travel airbag setup and I'm looking to buy a 2016 eclipse attitude 281 toyhauler and just wanting people's opinion on if I should be ok to tow it?
Trailer Dry weight is 7280
Axle weight is 6220
Gvwr is 9900
Hitch weight is 1060

Also gonna be putting a Rzr 1000 4 seater in it.

3c08d1c6f0293369c13e5027de87d61a.jpg
edfdcc3e40ad3638cdb72d9cf683a04a.jpg
de516e701c4e719baa0a6da87c45b0f4.jpg

Desertrat83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning Dirtfan,

I have plenty of experience towing toy haulers, horse trailers and car haulers. Although none with my Raptor. I would suspect you would be fine pulling said trailer with your RZR. I know I wouldn't hesitate. The standard F150 pulls way more that what the Raptor is rated for. During some research I found the drive train is the same across the board except our trucks are wider. My assumption with the lower ratings is that Ford didn't want the liability. I would assume responsibility for towing a larger trailer with your added air bags and stabilizer bars knowing that I need to avoid driving like an ******* with a trailer. Slow and steady will get you to what ever destination your going if you take it easy. I would add a larger trans mission cooler and make sure when climbing hills I would keep the RPM's below 3,500. In some situations that may be really slow but that is where the meat of the torque curve is keeping all of your temps. low. I towed an 18ft toy hauler for three Glamis seasons with a 2005 Tacoma and I was 2000lbs over the rated limit for the truck. I had almost 150k when I traded that truck in and never had an issue. Use your best judgment and make sure to use a load distribution hitch. Do your home work and learn how to properly set it up.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Too heavy the rzr is 1300 dry, plus water fuel etc you will at least 1000lbs over the limit. Find a lighter trailer.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also have a lot of experience towing trailers over the rated capacity, and I was looking into a toy hauler at one time. Dude, honestly, even with that air bag setup you shouldn't go past a 24' toy hauler. The water storage on the 28 is 150 gallons plus the gasoline storage and larger generator, etc, You should be in a f250 or 350 for something that large. I see you are still running the stock springs too. You need bigger brakes, etc. If the world was a perfect place and there was no hills and you only had to drive 1 mile to camp, no prob. Have you towed anything large before? Even with an equalizer hitch, the length of that rig at hwy speed creates a lot of wind turbulence, when a semi-trailer or another rig pass's you, it will be a bit of a control issue with the springs on the raptor, front and rear, she'll sway like cheap ****** on a Saturday night! Be careful and do some more research. Good luck.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too heavy to do it safely in my opinion. I do a lot of towing a often above what I probably should with the Raptor, but to both the points above, this is above and beyond what I would do with a Raptor. Even with the air bags and a proper weight distribution hitch by the time you add the weight of the trailer, any gear you pack, the RZR and water storage it's too much.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been looking at campers and other trailers to pull behind my truck. There is no way I would pull something like that. I just would not feel safe doing it.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I have a 23' Fleetwood Nitrous Hyperlite with a max weight of 7700lbs. I had my Raptor/Nitrous weighed back in 02/2015 on the way to Panamint Springs as I was curious what the weight for the two were.

The Raptor had four people, 3/4 gas and a few items in the bed that couldn't have weighed more than 150lbs.

My toybox had about 75 gallons of fresh water, 20 gallons of gas and empty grey/black tanks. Probably another 500lbs worth of stuff for four people on a three day weekend outing.

The Raptor was 7840lbs.

(4040lbs. front - 4000lbs. max.)
(3840lbs. rear - 3700lbs. max)

The trailer was 6940lbs.

14,820lbs. total weight which looks like I exceeded the limit by 120lbs...

While I do think the Raptor can tow more and still be safe if anything happens your insurance most likely will not cover any accident and you would be blamed for it no matter what...

Attachments

• Scale.jpg
    Scale.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter