The FRF Shock Shootout! All pre event details and discussion here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to thank Icon very much for loaning shocks to this test. This wouldn't be possible without you.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah that is cool as shit for them to step up and contribute.

Hopefully other vendors will be as confident as they are.

Lets face it, this is an amazing product development opportunity if done correctly for all parties. So even if a shock ends up not doing so well, they will be given all the data they need to make it better (follow up tests anyone?).

I think this is a great idea and effort, i just wish i could contribute more to it somehow.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey J awesome job on the details and putting this together!! I have an extra Gopro sitting around an tons of mounts man ill shoot you a pm in a few and ill get all that stuff boxed up today for you. There's probably like 20 different mounts I have haha most are the stick on mounts. Also depending on where this is going down and when I might be able to make it out and I'd love to be either a driver or supply my truck. :party36:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also think that shocks used for testing need to be either new, or freshly re-built by the manufacturer. As well all know, shocks are a wear-and-tear item that need rebuilding over time. Even a set of shocks with 5,000 miles can be worn enough to affect it's original designed performance, if the owner abuses them enough.

So if any "borrow" shocks are used... I think the testing fund needs to also be willing to shell out refurbishment for the loaner shocks, from the factory. Also, think of it as a bonus for the person that loans them out... they get them back with a fresh rebuild (just testing miles after that).

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I think the install process will take up a ton of time with driving to and from. Maybe we should consider a pit tyke situation where the installs are done onsite? With guys traveling from all over and taking time away from their day jobs we need to make things as efficient as possible. I am planning on towing a trailer to sleep in and use as a base camp.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great Idea J. This will be cool. I have been wondering the same thing. Other question I have, and this might not be feasible, would you consider testing all the shocks in the various perch mounts too? I wonder if brand X performs better than brand Y depending on ride hieght

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the install process will take up a ton of time with driving to and from. Maybe we should consider a pit tyke situation where the installs are done onsite? With guys traveling from all over and taking time away from their day jobs we need to make things as efficient as possible. I am planning on towing a trailer to sleep in and use as a base camp.
I agree that would work well... and it would help if the truck has been "prepped" for the installation and the shocks are ready to drop in. I know with the Icon 3.0's you have to clearance a small amount of metal from the front buckets, and the rear upper support. To prevent rusting, this should also be quickly spray painted and allowed to dry as well. This could be done in the desert, just need the right equipment and would add extra time to the swapping process (figure an extra hour if properly equipped).

I believe the install process for my Icon's took about 2.5 hours with proper tooling, equipment, and previous shock swapping experience. Roughly 45 minutes per side up front, including clearancing the bucket on each side. Rears take 30 minutes or less per side, including the prep work.

Something to think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.