Flaw with Mag-Hytec rear diff cover.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those who have one of these or are thinking of this modification around the dip stick to be used for checking your diff oil there is a small gap between the plug and the housing.

aqagudar.jpg

I had been out playing in the sand/water and went to check the diff fluid today. Even though I had done a preliminary cleaning under the truck I cannot say it was spotless. I went to pull the plug and noticed the sand in the crease. It was too late I had already had the plug half way out. I did my best to blow it out and clean it with rags. I am sure there was a little of it actually drop down in.

I plan on changing the fluid this weekend but the question I have to the masses is shoul I pull the diff cover so I can completely clean the diff cover. I am not sure what I can do to "clean" the gears and inner part of the diff.

Suggestions? And go.....

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol. Guess I need to break out the shop vac before checking fluid level in the rear diff.

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! you got sand in your rear! don't sweat it man. sounds like just a pinch fell in. I wouldn't pull the cover for that.

is everybody's like that?

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I brake clean shot the shit out of my ring and pinion and spider gears. What sucks is that it takes forever to dry up. Suggestion could be to use either/starter fluid. Don't know about your cover but couldn't you do it "old school" and pull the center rear plug and stick your finger in there to check the level? Mine has a center plug I think. I can't really remember it seems like it's been a while since I installed it.