First year models that bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
I just picked up a New 2014 Tremor 4wd a few months ago. I was a ecoboost nay sayer until i test drove one. It does have plenty of low end torque , after tune and mods its at 450 flwhp now. Most people don't think it is a V6. I just clocked a 4.8sec 0-60 mph boost launch in 4wd. I Think the 2017 will have plenty of lowend torque. It will tow pretty decent with a 10 speeds to keep it in the sweet spot. I also think it will be pretty maxed out as far as mods. You will probably not see 650 hp and 700 hp 2017 raptors without dropping some major coin. The other issue is the V6 exhaust , it just will never sound right. I left mine stock for now i kinda like the exhaust being quiet compared to my Raptor's insanely loud exhaust.

kolibri

Reaction score
well back to the original topic, I would not buy a first year model again. there is a reason people say not to, and in my case with my 2010 there was truth to it, which even mehanics at the dealership i used said. there are always going to be new design teething problems, i guess i look at it as wether you can live with them or not, and in my case eventually it was not. I guess this should be my last post because i just dumped my 2010, after getting sick and tired of the seemingly endless nickle and diming maintenace costs. i had 3 front diffs, one out of warranty, power steering fluid changes every 6 months or so, iwe replacements, and the last straw was my slowly dieing tranny. i was left with a feeling they hadnt upgraded some parts to cope with the biger tires, and power compared to a regular f150. also the 2010 had the old gauge cluster, and the first gen diff. in hindsight a years later model would have been nice. i think you will always be the guinea pig on the first year model, but remember the 2010 was a huge groud breaker, for the 2017 ford has alot of experience to draw on, that they didnt have 7 years ago, so i would be less woried about getting a 2017.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well back to the original topic, I would not buy a first year model again. there is a reason people say not to, and in my case with my 2010 there was truth to it, which even mehanics at the dealership i used said. there are always going to be new design teething problems, i guess i look at it as wether you can live with them or not, and in my case eventually it was not. I guess this should be my last post because i just dumped my 2010, after getting sick and tired of the seemingly endless nickle and diming maintenace costs. i had 3 front diffs, one out of warranty, power steering fluid changes every 6 months or so, iwe replacements, and the last straw was my slowly dieing tranny. i was left with a feeling they hadnt upgraded some parts to cope with the biger tires, and power compared to a regular f150. also the 2010 had the old gauge cluster, and the first gen diff. in hindsight a years later model would have been nice. i think you will always be the guinea pig on the first year model, but remember the 2010 was a huge groud breaker, for the 2017 ford has alot of experience to draw on, that they didnt have 7 years ago, so i would be less woried about getting a 2017.

Generally, I'm with you, but the 17 Raptor (unlike our beloved monsters) doesn't appear all that different from the current F150 fleet save some suspension pieces and such...including the Ecoboost, which is actually an awesome powerplant. Same as what's in a ton of current F150's and I have in my 2010 SHO, its a rocket and with a tune and exhaust, wholey crap. Now....having said that, the piece that gives me pause is the tranny. If it's truly new piece, WATCH OUT! Story follows.....We also have a Focus in the family with the much hated PowerShit (um Shift) twin clutch/dry plate faux automanual tranny. In fact, and to Ford's credit (after much arm-waiving), they have issued a 10-year/150K mile warranty on the piece for shuddering, stalling and general mis-behavior. But dam, having to take it to the dealer looking for a fight is a royal PITA, even if Ford comes through, which they typically do. They better beat the living hell out of any new transmission they stick in the Raptor...because you know we will. IJS.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually the Ecoboost engine in the New Raptor is different then what is already on the road. While it has the same name its a new motor so not what you have in your SHO.