Fine Aluminum Particles in Oil Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, there has been some discussions about the topic in the Oil Separator Works thread. But, I'm hoping to get more feedback or ideas on what could most likely be creating the particles. The particles can only be seen in a concentrate such as the separator bowl and not on the dip stick or in the filter pleats.
Background: I only noticed the problem after installing a Moroso Oil separator during my Roush install @ 6,400 miles. I checked the bowl after about 100 miles and noticed a little bit of shinny particles in the oil residue. I would have never been able to notice this during normal oil changes. Decided to clean the separator, filter and lines to eliminate them as the source. Still picking up non-ferrous particles. No way to tell if truck started producing as a result of the SC or this was a problem from day one. Everything seems normal, no noises and good power...

I'm hoping someone can suggest what the most likely source for this type of wear. I suspect it might be one of the following: cam phasers, cam shaft races or the rocker arm sides near the stabilizing clamps (sharp edge metal there). Obviously it could be piston skirt wear as well.
Oil analysis kit ordered, but will most likely flag for excess aluminum.
Dealer will most likely be a waste of time with denial runaround, but will be considered when I learn more about what it could be.
Pics gathered from the web and the last pic is of the cam phaser function.
R,
HAP
6.2L_zpsfuisol48.png
6.2L%202_zpscix1zefa.png
6.2L%205_zpsyh9dsadl.jpg
6.2L%203_zpsarmbcd9s.jpg
camlimiter_zpsdw2g9sfu.gif

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend having an oil analysis run and seeing what shows up. If it does not show anything elevated like aluminum, then don't worry about it. How many miles on truck?

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing should be making physical contact as per the tech spec's Also, anything through the SC should go in the intake and out the exhaust... right?