Fed up with Smittybuilt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ajstar89

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ajstar89
So do you think even if you put felt on the rivets so it wouldn't scratch the tank, that the metal bands would of broken anyways? I haven't installed mine yet but it seems like they would slip off the clamp pretty easy as there is no guard to keep it from not doing so. Guess it wouldn't hurt to racket strap it in too, just to be safe.

The air gauge on mine broke, dial is past 400 when closed. It still works, just no idea where pressure is at.

I personally don't think any mod will help it. Its made of cheap material and poor craftsmanship. Also the design concept is flawed. it relies on 3 points of fixation, nd if any of those fail it fails.

If anyone is good at AutoCAD like solid works or those hit me up I have a really good design i would like to try out. I just need it put into cad and then send it out for prototyping.

D

Deleted member 12951

I personally don't think any mod will help it. Its made of cheap material and poor craftsmanship. Also the design concept is flawed. it relies on 3 points of fixation, nd if any of those fail it fails.

If anyone is good at AutoCAD like solid works or those hit me up I have a really good design i would like to try out. I just need it put into cad and then send it out for prototyping.

Perhaps a racket strap to hold it in place so it doesn't work the metal straps loose to break. Kinda sucks cause I was looking forward to using it but once I got it, was wondering how good those straps would be.

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poly performance ( found this place from Trey) unit is $40 and I ran it through TRR and a couple Barstow to Vegas trips with problems.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436932541.491119.jpg
Their setup with tank, reg, hose and mount is only $200 hard to beat and stands up under bedcovers.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436932648.784769.jpg

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let everyone know my experience with the Smittybuilt power tank mount. I loved the tank but their mount is terrible.

I went off roading a few months ago and this happened. It was mounted securely to the bed cage. So well that the straps wore through the tank and then broke.
35408f0033d2c73ead475a86994e5ea8.jpg

Luckily the trail was mellow and it didn't destroy everything bed. This was only the second time I have ever used this mount!

This poor craftsmanship has lead to the tank being destroyed beyond it being refillable. ( it has only been filled once) After countless calls to Smittybuilt and coming to the conclusion that they just don't care, I thought I would let all you know my experience with them so you can avoid wasting your money on this mount.

OK I spoke to my supplier and talk to them about your troubles.
Did you buy the tank through me?
Anyways I think I might be able to get you a new tank.
Send me your info to
[email protected]
and I will see if I can work some magic.
They have told me that they are going to change the mounts to fix this problem.
If who ever bought a mount from me brings it to Havoc I can swap out the rivets for you.
I am also going to see if I can get more info on the regulators as well.

Thanks
Roger
RSIWORKS

D

Deleted member 12951

I got my mount from you but haven't installed it yet and still have the box. Anything can be done?

Bussy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the bracket from Poly Performance will work itself loose. The rubber bumpers do fall off. I've added big ass plastic ties for extra security. Had to do this with another member on same setup earlier this year.
5cc396181d617b01ca79c72a25aeb4cd.jpg