Chassis Shimmy and Flex? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Chassis Flex? I wonder what observation(s) led the author to that conclusion. Isn't that usually characterized by squeeking interior components/ a cracked windshield/ doors not fitting properly? Now I have noticed a slight rattle in my steering column at slow speeds over bumps but I really have to look for it...and I wouldn't call that chassis flex.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's the text in question from the article:

"It's also remarkable that they chose to use the extended cab version of the F-150 for the Raptor launch, as you really notice the chassis flex on rough pavement at low speeds, an effect no doubt amplified by the huge daylight opening created by the anchor-less front and rear doors.

This chassis shimmy gets amplified at low speeds on uneven pavement in a way that makes the whole machine seem active, which is more annoying than unsettling. Over 30 mph, or as soon as the suspension gets involved this all settles down. Will the wheelbase trade-off be worth a B-pillar when the four-door appears? How about a regular-cab Raptor?"

His criticism stems from Ford's use of the SuperCab that goes without a B-pillar which isn't practical with the smaller front-opening rear doors. We're very fortunate Ford gave us this design as I would probably not have purchased the Raptor if it was only made in a regular cab which the author is asking about.

Methinks the writer is a car guy - probably a Camry driver - who is bothered by the squeaks that come from the four doors' seals. The SuperCrew Raptor won't have this since it will have a B-pillar.

I'll gladly pass on the longer wheelbase and reduced manuverability that comes with the B-pillared Raptor SCrew.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
The issue he is calling chassis flex at low speed is easily fixed with a set of Deavers. It's not chassis flex it's overload springs on the leaf pack making the rear end too stiff for slow uneven pavement.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^ Thats an interesting take B. Next time we're out, we should set up a mini course or something, even if its just in a parking lot, and take your Deaver'd rig around and compare it to a stock rig. Would be very interesting to directly compare like that.

Phil Howell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue he is calling chassis flex at low speed is easily fixed with a set of Deavers. It's not chassis flex it's overload springs on the leaf pack making the rear end too stiff for slow uneven pavement.

I agree. The writer is listening to the door rattle we get before doing Jason's tape fix on the latches and the chatter experienced with the OE leaf packs and calling it "chassis flex."

The Deavers cure the chatter completely. I've built many vehicles over the years and can honestly say the Deavers have made the greatest improvement, with the least amount of sweat expended, of any suspension mod I've EVER done. Maybe the best way to describe the Deaver improvement is to say that, with the Deaver leaf packs, the rear suspension exactly matches the front in function and feel.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where's that Deavers group buy? Where are the Deavers guys? Why aren't they on SVTOffroad.com?

Brian? Yoo-hoo, Brian?

How many Deavers buyers/users do we have here?

1. Brian
2. Phil
3. Richie
4. Jake

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
If you get me a list of guys that are interested in Deavers I can take it to Deaver and see if they will do a group buy??

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Add me. Maybe give Ryan at SDHQ a shout too?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chicken or egg?

I'm sure we can come up with a bunch of folks. See if they're interested and we'll get something going here.

(I'm interested but installed cost is an issue)