grinding noise near the engine compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ozzie06

Reaction score
Alright so I have had my 2011 raptor for about a year now and I have never had a problem with it. Until now. I am from phoenix but am living in flagstaff. Now as it got colder up here, whenever I would start my truck it would sound like the belt was grinding against something except it is not. The noise goes away after I drive my truck around for a little while. But it always happens when I start the truck up and it is extremely cold outside. It never happens when I go home to the valley. It also gets louder when I turn the wheels either direction, again it sounds like the belt or something is grinding against something else, but I looked under the truck and under the hood and nothing is touching the belt. Any thoughts on what this noise might be coming from?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can remove the belt and rotate the tensioner and idler pulleys by hand and feel if they're rough. Another thing to think about is I know on mine when it starts and first runs for a bit when its about 30* and colder, the power steering pump makes a low humming whine till it warms up.