Torsion Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, Im happy to say Im back in another Raptor... was a long 18 months debating/waiting for a 17, but I just cant give up the 6.2...lol

I just picked up a 14 Roush, super clean and I'll guess it was someones street queen. That lasted a full 2 hours before I had her in the dirt.

Anyway, testing everything out, played a long time in 2WD having a hoot everything worked fine.
I know all the IWE issues, so I came to a complete stop, engage 4HI and proceed to roll forward, trucks stops rolling and steering wheel rolls to the right.... Odd... I put it in reverse and the same thing. It rolls half a truck length and stops. Its like something is binding up.
I crack the window and try to roll forward again, and sure as shit, you can hear the front tires trying to skid just a little compared to the back. If I didnt know better I would think the front gear set was a different ratio than the back, turning ever so slightly slower???

I assessed the situation, remembered I have ESP so i get on the throttle hoping not to hear a crunch / bang and it seems to be fine although feels like Im pushing the front wheels. In the loose dirt, it spins the tires no problem, and no IWE noise. However, going back to 2Hi i have to do the N then Reverse then Drive to get the front completely disconnected again.

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, to add another layer to this issue. I was down at the beach (PINS) and while running in the soft stuff in 4 HI I got the Hill Decent Fault/ Advace track fault and exiting offroad mode..lol Did some looking and it seems that this may be a wheel speed sensor.

Anyone else have some insight before I take it to dealer.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't experienced anything like that. What's a little perplexing is vehicle stops rolling and steering wheel turns to the right, wtf?

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sounds like you're trying to use 4x4 on a hard packed surface. There's gonna be binding when you do that. That's how it works...

OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mav... Loose gravel and soft beach sand are far from hard pack in either of these situations.
I can tell you this, my 13 Raptor never displayed this behavior even on hard pack.
Something isnt right.

OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys arent going to believe this....

I bought this truck at Christmas 2016, in the first week I owned it, I discovered something seemed off in the front end. Since Im in south Texas, im mostly playing in 2WD and rarely need 4X4 so I didnt get it into the shop right away, as work and travel wouldnt allow.
Last week I took it back to the Ford dealer it came from, complaining of the binding issue and let them know I wasnt comfortable forcing it, so they can try and find the issue. I was originally thinking it was an IWE issue or something in the front dif causing the binding.
Turns out that right before I bought the truck, the ring and pinion was changed as the bearing was noisey.
The Dealer put the wrong ratio ring and pinion in the truck!!!!

As I alluded too in my first post, I thought the it felt like the front and rear were not turning at the same speed.. Crazy
Glad I wasnt doing 40mph and decided to snap the truck into 4HI....

Truck is getting fixed under warranty

OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had them pull the service scans on the truck and saw that they had "inspected" the rear diff.. No other notes were on it, so when the service advisor dug into it, he found the part numbers and the work order that they actually changed the ring and pinion.. Glad I was informed enough to ask them about it.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is terrifying that a dealer could make that level of mistake!!!

I bet you feel a little sane though, since you called it in your original post.

OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad I kept after it. I assumed it was a problem up front as we all know about IWE issues. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was right with the gears being different, but that's what it felt like.
At first the dealer tried to tell me that 4x4 was functioning fine.... I asked who test drive it, and I was told they performed all the tests on the lift!!
After a long conversation with service advisor, I convinced them that they need to get it on the ground rolling 2-3 mph and try to put it in 4Hi... guess what, they found the problem... lol
They would have happily sent me on my way with a bill for inspection and a "nothing wrong" service record.