GEN 1 out of control while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My new 2018 Raptor seems to drive like it has a mind of its own. Without bad weather or anything on the roadway, It slips and fish tails without reason or warning and I am concerned it will cause an accident. Anyone else have this problem?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My new 2018 Raptor seems to drive like it has a mind of its own. Without bad weather or anything on the roadway, It slips and fish tails without reason or warning and I am concerned it will cause an accident. Anyone else have this problem?

You need to have throttle control!!!!! Can’t just mash the throttle like an imbecile, power delivery on a turbo is more abrupt than a V8.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know you can leave it in 4A (4 wheel auto), right?
That's not the same as 4H (4x4)

And you may have way too much air in the tires.

Out of your manual:
2H (4X2)

For general on-road driving, this mode provides optimal smoothness and fuel economy at high speeds. Sends power to the rear wheels only.

4A (4X4 AUTO)

Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. This is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions,
including dry road surfaces, but is especially useful on wet pavement, snow, dirt, or gravel.

4H (4X4 HIGH)

Provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or winter conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud. This mode is not for use on dry pavement.

4L (4X4 LOW)

Provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. Intended only for off-road applications such as deep sand, steep grades, or pulling heavy objects. 4L (4X4 low) will not engage while your vehicle is moving above 5 km/h; this is normal and should be no reason for concern. Refer to Shifting to or from 4L (4X4 low) for proper operation.

Shifting between system modes

Note: Momentarily releasing the accelerator pedal while a shift in progress message displays will improve engagement/disengagement performance.

Note: Do not perform this operation if the rear wheels are slipping or while applying the accelerator pedal.

Note: You may hear some noise as the system shifts or engages; this is normal.

You can move the control from 2H to 4A or 4H at a stop or while driving. The information display may display a message indicating a 4X4 shift is in progress. Once the shift is complete the message center will then display the system mode selected.

Last edited:

Doogy

Reaction score

Picked up my 2018 3 weeks ago, stepping up from a GMC Sierra. I noticed similar issues and then checked my tire pressure. The dealer had all the tires at 49 psi. The high tire pressure and the overall power of the Raptor were a bad combination. Handling has been much better since I lowered the tire pressure to 38 psi, as recommended on the truck placard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sell it get you a jeep