High beams stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I installed the 2014 raptor retrofit headlights and relay on my 2012 raptor and the high beams are stuck on when the headlights are turned on. After my first attempt to install them I noticed the high beam issue and was sent a replacement relay. When I just installed the new relay from Morimoto I'm having the same issue, high beams stuck on then when I manually turn my headlights off by the knob to the left of the steering wheel the lights cut to the low beams for a second and then turn off completely. Is it possible I got two bad relays in a row? I checked all my grounds and they are all good. Has anyone experienced this? Just wanted to see if I maybe did something wrong that is causing the issue. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me, it's getting hard to not be able to drive at night due to my high beams blinding oncoming traffic. I am trying my best to avoid installing my old headlights back in, and having to then reinstall the retrofit headlights when the issue is fixed.

OP
OP
memberthttime92
Reaction score
I followed the instructions and diagrams that I found. With the simplicity of it, it's not possible (well it might be possible) to plug something into the wrong place due to the size of the plugs and number of pins that need to connect. The low beams do come on, but so do the high beams. With headlights on- turning on the high beams by pulling the wand/stick/lever thing does not change the output at all. The only time the low beam is on by itself is for the 1-second after I turn the knob to turn off my headlights- high beams turn off, low beams stay on momentarily, then turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
memberthttime92
Reaction score
Dawson at raptor retrofit, he's been really helpful with getting me a replacement relay. But was wondering if there could be something I was doing that would cause this to happen.

OP
OP
memberthttime92
Reaction score
What happens when you pull back on the "wand", with the lights off?

With the lights switched in the off position, turning on the high beams by pulling the thing back - the highs and lows come on and when the stick goes back to neutral position: high beam goes off first followed by less than a second of low beam. Then the lights go completely off.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have the stock HID bulbs correct? I have aftermarket bulbs which have a ballast connector that is similar to the high / low beam connector. That is why I asked about the connectors.

Check your fuses for the high beam and low beam, they're seperate and so you will have one for each. They are bellow the glove box, check your manual (the location in the fuse box is different from year to year). You can easily check them with a multimeter, or visually if you don't have one.

Do you have a friend with a 2013+ F-150 equipped with stock HID's? Maybe, the dealership you use? Would be willing to try the lights in that vehicle, to see if the problem is with the lights themselves.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Bi-xenon lights work by flipping a shield up away from the bulb to remove the cut-off line from your pattern. If the high beams are on, the relay that sends power to the solenoid is getting constant power. So check the line that goes to the switch wire on the high beam relay. It should be getting power and that means that the high and low beam wire on the H-13 connector of the relay is backwards.