Help! Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topdwg

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Have an issue with my truck and it's driving me crazy. When I turn to the right, say like in to a driveway I hear a popping/clunking sound. It has to be a bit bumpy or it doesn't do it.

For the life of me I can't figure it out. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated...

Black6

Reaction score
Hello! Check nuts that hold wheels on to make sure they are tight. I would check your upper control arm bolts to make sure that they're tight. I had one that was loose (one of two on top)... and it created a similar sound. I would also check to make sure that one or both of your sway bar end links are not shot. Make sure that sway bar is not loosely bolted on as well. If that doesn't work, check upper and lower ball joint condition and bolts on everything attached to spindles. You can jack up front wheels off the ground and put hands at 3 and 9... shake tire side to side, then put hands at 12 and 6... shake tire up and down. If you get a decent amount of side to side, or up and down play... that can be indicative of a worn out, or loose component. Check outer bolts on tie rod ends to make sure they aren't loose. You can jack up wheel, and put a strong bar under tire... pull up on bar to life tire; if you get a decent amount of up and down motion, or a clunk... it's probably a lower ball joint. If none of this produces a suspect part, one can take off the front wheel, remove rotor and brake system, remove dust cover on center bolt of hub that holds cv axle half shaft in place, remove small nut, push in on center tip of cv axle end... push in on cv axle half shaft to remove from hub actuator and hub itself, and perform inspection of actuator assembly and hub. Will have to remove actuator from hub to do good inspection of hub. Also inspect three bolts that attach actuator to hub assembly, and four bolts that attach hub assembly to spindle.

To put it simply... check for trouble codes, check vac and fluid lines that run out to wheel, check wheel nuts to make sure they're tight, inspect nuts and bolts on suspension and steering system to make sure they are tight, inspect upper and lower ball joints, and if all else fails... start to take apart and inspect everything attached to wheel/spindle. If you need help, there are some helpful vids on YouTube that show techs taking apart front end steering and suspension systems to replace parts... if you watch an in depth vid on how to replace F-150 lower ball joints... one can learn how to take all this stuff apart. If nothing on the outside of axle half shaft is loose and in need of replacement, start working your way in with your inspection. Good luck! It probably isn't anything too serious! For me, culprits have been upper control arm bolts, sway bar end links, and lower ball joints when I have had similar sounds in the past.