FORD IWE Failure..question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryballs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after i got the RPG bolt kit installed i noticed that my left front axel was spinning still when in two wheel drive...turns out my IWE system needs replacing..apparently this is a big job and I am headed out of town on an off road trip this weekend..Is there an easy way to disable the 4x4 system? or do I need to get it fixed and postpone the trip...If I leave it rotating that has been heating up my CV's and puking out grease out of the new RCV's i just had installed...

Sorry this is a dumb question, my ford dealer won't work on my truck anymore because of my long travel and I am finding getting info on this is tough...

Jerry

OP
OP
J

Jerryballs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems like the axel can just be removed if the parts don't come in time...is that correct? or is that a "no no"?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Maybe the dust cap didn't get sealed properly, or a vac line got pinched, cut, or disconnected. If it was working before than it's probably not the IWE itself. I'd start tracing the vac lines from the pump to the wheel end, and I'll bet you you will find the problem.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your IWE and half shaft is spinning but the transfer case is not engaged. What trip are you taking? Will it be mostly off-road?

Also, I'd be more concerted with the RCV axles throwing grease.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find the vacuum line where it attaches to the hub and follow it back to the solenoid/actuator under the hood. Disconnect it and put a handheld vacuum pump on it and see if it holds vacuum. If yes, then the problem is not the hub. If it doesn't, then make sure the line is good... your problem will then be in the hub and you can't bypass it.

OP
OP
J

Jerryballs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out the iwe gear was broken off... Got it replaced and ready to go! @Yukon Joe are you saying the rcv throwing grease is a bad sign or are you say not to drive until I tighten the band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are supposed to be a sealed design. They shouldn't through grease regardless of the IWE. If You were running 60 mph off-road in four wheel, they should work with out singing grease.
@beemerman had a similar issue.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Maybe the truck just likes show tunes. Don't be so judgmental.