Engine misfiring and running very poorly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptr8

Reaction score
Hello all.

Im in Australia and have just purchased a 2013 roush raptor of a seller. It has 54000km on it and i have had it for two weeks and just the other day the engine light appeared and within a day the raptor was misfiring and getting worse every drive. I was also towing a 2t machine behind for work. So i managed to get it scanned and the code 3055 for misfire in cylinder 5 coil. So the local mechanic switched what he thinks was cylinder 5 coil with the coil next to it to see if problem followed coil. But i think the cylinder 5 coil is on the passenger side of engine which would be originally driver's side before conversion. So not sure if he switched correct coils in this instance. As when we re scanned it showed same code so either there is issues with that cylinder or he has checked wrong coil. He changed the two front driver's side ones which would have been passenger side originally. If that makes sense. Bottom line the code showed up the same. So being the weekend i checked the plugs myself and found two bottom spark plugs were stuffed so i replaced them with what i think was the equivalent to the original sparks or ngk 6510 . The problem was still there so i did order some ngk 6510 to see if they solve the issue. So not sure if anyone can help for now. It still may be coil pack or else it could be a number of things. Injectors etc. It did get tuned up north where it is much hotter than down here so maybe ute is running leaner and caused an issue. Any help would be appreciated. It will go into mechanic monday for comp test but this was done before purchase and all cylinders were fine

OP
OP
R

Raptr8

Reaction score
Ok what do you mean exaclty ? Do you knowbtge exact firing order so i can clarify if it is the coil pack on 5 or not . I beleive 5 is up front on original drivers side.

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... who went straight to Ausie accent in there head as soon as they read "Im in Australia and have..."?

OP
OP
R

Raptr8

Reaction score
Bloody hell can we just foucus on the issue i have with my raptor haha.
So its funny as i read a few of the posts on here about the remote starter not working cause of bumped hood sensor so today i was working on the misfire issue and noticed one both of the wires going into the connection next to coil connection was bare so i think they may have been shorting so i re taped them and at same time i re adjusted the hood sensor and after doing both these things. The car ran 80% better and no engine light anymore. But engine still has a small misfire. So im thinking of re placings all plugs and wires to see if this completely solves my misfire

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok what do you mean exaclty ? Do you knowbtge exact firing order so i can clarify if it is the coil pack on 5 or not . I beleive 5 is up front on original drivers side.
Yes, that's why I posted the link, sounds like your mechanic was on the other side. Also clean your maf sensor, make sure it's not oily, etc. Post a pic of your raptor and one with the view of the dash, interested to see how it looks in Aussie Land :)

OP
OP
R

Raptr8

Reaction score
Haha yeah ill get a pic uploaded tommorow im interested to see how close it looks to original.
Yeah they realised today that 5 was on the other side.
So they ran a few tests but didn't find the issue they swapped a few coils over and after this she ran perfect. So i paid them for the 2 hours spent and was on my way until it plays up again and they will run the scanner again as they said there is nothing more they can do until it happens again. Im starting to think its a wiring issue or maybe leads. He said there is the smallest chance it could be a valve seal as hes seen this once. But lets hope not. I told them about cleaning the maf. Is there anything i can do to rule more things out. Maybe new leads and plugs

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you ever ran any injector cleaner through it? I'm a big fan of Chevron Techron. I doubt this will solve your misfire (which sounds coil related) but it will definitely keep your truck running better for longer.

Black6

Reaction score
If this happened to me, I would use cylinder numbering chart to determine which one is 5... inspect spark plug, spark plug wire, and coil on #5... if everything visually looked good, I would button back up and test drive. Still there... replace all 8 spark plugs with new ones and test drive. Still there... replace all spark plug wires and test drive. Still there... replace #5 coil and test drive. Still there... check other 7 coils and replace/test drive.
Still there... check MAF sensor, followed by injectors, followed by fuel filter and fuel pump.

Last edited: