Coolant hose popped off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeepSeaOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday while driving I got an overheat warning followed by a check engine lite. Got out to see coolant spraying from the hose next to the oil filter. Hose looked cocked/crooked on the nipple. Waited for things to cool down and pulled the hose (slid off the nipple with no effort), inspected the little gray retainer and everything looked fine. Reinstalled easily and had to fill with water to get me home.

Made it home without incident and got a dealer appt. tomorrow. Not sure if it was installed incorrectly from the factory or what but those connectors sure look cheesy. Looking to see if this is a known issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepSeaOne

DeepSeaOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's good to know. This could have turned out badly as I was 5 or so miles back in the dirt at a place where I shoot. Was lucky nothing was broken and was able to get it back on. Between me and another truck we had just enough drinking water to top it back off and get me to a garden hose for the rest of the water.

OP
OP
DeepSeaOne

DeepSeaOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the dealership, just throw a metal band clamp on it and you will be cookin
I need to take a closer look at it. It's a strange setup and I'm not sure you can just throw a clamp on it. The hose has some type of quick disconnect built into the end of it. Without the plastic insert the hose is a pretty loose fit on the nipple.

OP
OP
DeepSeaOne

DeepSeaOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They believe the retainer just wasn't fully engaged from the factory. After getting a second look at it...you can't simply clamp it without removing the entire QD assembly from the hose, which appears would make the hose too short.

OP
OP
DeepSeaOne

DeepSeaOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a fair number of miles on yours you're unlikely to have this problem but if you want to check yours this is what it should look like.

As you can see to the right of the oil filter (as viewed looking down into the eng. compartment) there is a quick disconnect assembly mounted on a coolant hose that slips onto a nipple at the oil cooler housing or filter mount. The circled component is the plastic insert that keeps the QD on the nipple and this is how it should look when properly installed.

Mine was sticking out on one side more than the other and was a result of one of the locking fingers not being completely engaged.

855-coolant-hose.jpg