Cargo light/puddle light on briefly then back off again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
For some reason after I installed my logo projectors, when I open the door, the cargo lights and puddle lights come on briefly then turn off again... The logo projectors were installed into the bottom of the door and wired up to the purple wire coming down from the mirror... The funny thing is is all the interior lights, puddle lights and cargo lights are all ran.off the same fuse... I disconnected the battery and reconnected it... no luck... i cycled the doors several times and locked unlocked.. The cargo and puddle lights still come on just briefly then they are off again... help please!!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason after I installed my logo projectors, when I open the door, the cargo lights and puddle lights come on briefly then turn off again... The logo projectors were installed into the bottom of the door and wired up to the purple wire coming down from the mirror... The funny thing is is all the interior lights, puddle lights and cargo lights are all ran.off the same fuse... I disconnected the battery and reconnected it... no luck... i cycled the doors several times and locked unlocked.. The cargo and puddle lights still come on just briefly then they are off again... help please!!
maybe not enough current...... might need a relay.

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score

Thats the ticket! Disconnected the logo on the drivers side and it fixed the problem... Explain the relay to me?

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

I dont see how it couldnt be enough power... maybe if I went with led puddle lights it would fix the problem...

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a relay can be used if there is not enough current to power something, by using another power source., but im not 100% sure you need it. now that i thought about it, the logo is led right? led lights do not take enough current to cause this issue you are having...... or so i would think.

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
a relay can be used if there is not enough current to power something, by using another power source., but im not 100% sure you need it. now that i thought about it, the logo is led right? led lights do not take enough current to cause this issue you are having...... or so i would think.

Yes sir they are a 5w cree led. My cargo lights and my interior lights are as well

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

For all your help im gonna send a set of these your way... lol you are pretty frickin awesome haha

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Maybe not 5w but it is a cree led

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, running the cree led might cause this, since they are a lot stronger led. you can try the relay and see what happens as long as you hook it up right, nothing bad will happen.

remember, its not the power that matters, its the current. you said that when you disconnected one light, everything worked again. what if you were to open the other door?

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
well, running the cree led might cause this, since they are a lot stronger led. you can try the relay and see what happens as long as you hook it up right, nothing bad will happen.

remember, its not the power that matters, its the current. you said that when you disconnected one light, everything worked again. what if you were to open the other door?

Right, so what about hooking up the relay? How do i rum the wires?

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

I may have it... So pretty much the relay will be tripped when the door is opened or when the truck is unlocked... therefore bringing enough current from the battery to power the lights... correct? I found a guide but it was a little confusing

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you look at a spdt relay (single pole, double throw) (also a standard automotive relay) there are 5 lugs on it where you can connect wires. 85 and 86 on the relay are for power and ground meaning, you would take one side (either one, it doesnt matter) and connect to ground. the other one would connect to the purple wire that you are tapped into right now. because those are connected, everytime the power energizes the relay, you will hear it click. figure the relay is an electromagnet. the other 3 lugs are 87, 87a and 30. 87 will connect to a constant power source with more amperage than the current wire you are tapped into. 87a is not used. and 30 will go to the positive wire on the led light. if it sounds confusing, i can post some pics tomorrow at the shop.

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
if you look at a spdt relay (single pole, double throw) (also a standard automotive relay) there are 5 lugs on it where you can connect wires. 85 and 86 on the relay are for power and ground meaning, you would take one side (either one, it doesnt matter) and connect to ground. the other one would connect to the purple wire that you are tapped into right now. because those are connected, everytime the power energizes the relay, you will hear it click. figure the relay is an electromagnet. the other 3 lugs are 87, 87a and 30. 87 will connect to a constant power source with more amperage than the current wire you are tapped into. 87a is not used. and 30 will go to the positive wire on the led light. if it sounds confusing, i can post some pics tomorrow at the shop.

Actually, that helps a TON. I think Ill pick up a 12v relay tomorrow and wire it up!!