4wd vacuum lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glamisbound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I upgraded to 3.0s, cst uca's, and tie rods. Put it all together with alot of cuss words trying to get everything in place but finally got it. So put her on the ground to test out and find it making a baddd grinding/ rubbing noise coming from strictly the pass side. Noise doesnt happen in 4wd, only 2wd. Doesnt happen when going downhill in neutral. I noticed a vacuum line coming from the hub on the pass side goes to a coupling near the the top of the coilover has two lines going in, and one going out. Did I rip something out putting it together or is that normal??

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those lines often crack or obtain small holes. If there is a leak, the grinding noise is the metal rubbibg together because of the loss of vacuum. It's important that the lines get replaced right away before it causes a lot of damage. Maybe you ripped the line out from the hood when you were working? If you search "vacuum leak" there is a ton of write ups on how to fix this and what exactly causes it.

TXRaptorZX14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the lines back to the solenoid and disconnect it until you get it repaired. You'll need to put a cap on the solenoid port since the 4WD system uses vacuum to keep it out of 4WD. You'll be able to drive it. The only difference will be the front axles will be engaged. Mine went bad and that's what I did so I could still drive it until I got the replacement vacuum harness.