Bug and Tar Remover ate my paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, In perpetration of washing my truck, I thought it would be a good idea to spray B&T remover on the hood, grill, and bumper. My biggest mistake was that the front end was in direct sun. Although, I did have a bucket and hose ready to begin washing the vehicle so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.:facepalm:

That's when I saw my neighbor, who was doing yard work, hit the deck. She went down hard, sliding down a grassy hill over a granite stone and onto her gravel driveway. Long story short, she broke her ankle in 4 places and will be in a cast for the rest of the summer.

By the time her husband and I got her up and into his truck, I forgot about the B&T remover. They headed to the ER and I began cleaning my wheels. The B&T remover sat for 15-20 mins on the truck, in direct sunlight before I tried to wash it off. I was able to get it off everything but the bumper (???), so I consider myself lucky.

I tried using denatured alcohol, paint thinner, and even tried spraying the bumper with more B&T remover (in the shade this time). All with no luck. I'm not too upset about it because it could have been much worse. Maybe it's time to have the bumper Line-X'd to match my Tuxedo Black paint. I could do the running boards as well, they all ways turn white within a week after cleaning them.

Any one have any thoughts on how to remove this crap off my bumper, or why it ate the paint on the bumper but not the grill or paint on the hood?

Thanks in advance, TheJoker :banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 114

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks more like it stained the bumper, not ate the paint, and it's not as easy to stain clear coat as it is the plastic bumpers, that's my opinion why it didn't damage your hood, no idea why it didn't damage the grill too, it might've and the grill's just too dark to tell

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your neighbor...that sucks...

It does look like a stain, the way it has the run marks...did you think about a rubbing compound, polish on some Scratch-x?

It might dull the paint, but if it works follow up with some wax to get the shine back...

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

One more thought...maybe a automotive clay...might not scratch the paint like a polishing compound or a rubbing compound....

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks more like it stained the bumper, not ate the paint, and it's not as easy to stain clear coat as it is the plastic bumpers, that's my opinion why it didn't damage your hood, no idea why it didn't damage the grill too, it might've and the grill's just too dark to tell

Yes, you're right, it stained the bumper. So I guess there's no way to remove it. Re- paint, Line-x or new bumper are my options. That sucks!

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Sorry about your neighbor...that sucks...

It does look like a stain, the way it has the run marks...did you think about a rubbing compound, polish on some Scratch-x?

It might dull the paint, but if it works follow up with some wax to get the shine back...

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

One more thought...maybe a automotive clay...might not scratch the paint like a polishing compound or a rubbing compound....

Thanks Fred, I'll try the clay and/or compound/scratch-x.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck...I am going to get my running boards done in Line-x premium...was thinking about the bumper as well...$100 for the running boards, but did not get a quote on the bumper...

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck...I am going to get my running boards done in Line-x premium...was thinking about the bumper as well...$100 for the running boards, but did not get a quote on the bumper...

Ya, I know I'm not the only one with the white chalky running boards.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I spoke with the guys at Line-x, they said it looks like the coating is wearing off, or the dirt and grime is being ground into the boards themselves...either way, mine are showing Same fading...

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It most likely etched the clear / paint. Try compound first, otherwise might use some very fine paper, 1200 to 1400 and then compound.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My running boards are the same color as the flares right now, so I don't mind the color fade