GEN 2 Ohm and speaker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna install 1 alpine 5 channel pdx-v9 amp and use a jbl stealth box. The jbl is 2 ohm but my focal door speakers are 4 ohm would that matter?
Also would it be dumb to use 3 or 2 way 6x9 in the front even with the pillar tweeters?
Last question how deep of a 6x9 is possible to use or do you have to get shallow mount 6x9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceman6996

Reaction score
It shouldn’t matter if the JL steathbox is 2 ohms and your door speakers are 4 ohms with that amp. I have a JL vx 1000/5 amp installed in my truck and with a stealthbox and I also have 4 ohm door speakers and I don’t have any issues. In terms of door speakers I when back with 7” Kenwood Excelon component in the front and 7” 2 way Excelons in the back for better mids. Most 6x9 should work in your doors. A website like crutchfield.com will let you know if the speakers you want will fit. I know for a fact that they don’t make to many component 6x9 speakers.

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn’t matter if the JL steathbox is 2 ohms and your door speakers are 4 ohms with that amp. I have a JL vx 1000/5 amp installed in my truck and with a stealthbox and I also have 4 ohm door speakers and I don’t have any issues. In terms of door speakers I when back with 7” Kenwood Excelon component in the front and 7” 2 way Excelons in the back for better mids. Most 6x9 should work in your doors. A website like crutchfield.com will let you know if the speakers you want will fit. I know for a fact that they don’t make to many component 6x9 speakers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_410/Component-Speakers.html?tp=106#&nvpair=FFSpeaker_Size|6x9

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the oem amp has a built in crossover. having a coax speaker in the door is not going to benefit you. you need to go with a component setup in front. also you will need a spacer so the back of the speaker clears the window. on all the builds i have done, i use a 3/4 in spacer on the fronts and a 1/2in spacer on the rears.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oem amp has a built in crossover. having a coax speaker in the door is not going to benefit you. you need to go with a component setup in front. also you will need a spacer so the back of the speaker clears the window. on all the builds i have done, i use a 3/4 in spacer on the fronts and a 1/2in spacer on the rears.

I second the component for the better fit for the application, but I did put 3wy JBL GTO939s in the kickpanels of my 2018 802a/B&O, and was surprised that they output an almost full range signal. I never could get Ford to tell me the crossover point, but it's higher than I thought it would be.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pics of your stealth box iceman wondering if I’m gonna have to remove the tray under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is from previous build. i find that 2 10in woofers fit nice. no need to cut floormat and bolts in to factory holes. you do remove the plastic in front, but the box replaces it so you can still store stuff in there. this particular truck he wanted the amplifiers there.

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_142233.jpg
    IMG_20170629_142233.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 53