Wiring Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlkRptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm new, yes I seached and have been lurking for a month. Anyways just purchased a bracket kit and 6 cube LED for the ugly holes in my bumper and then I bought a 30" light bar for behing the grill. The light bar is 150W so about 12.5A draw which is fine for Aux 1. What is the general concensus on wiring the 6 cubes? 1 pair to different Aux switches, or can I combine 2 sets into 1 switch. They are 36W a pair and I really don't want to take up another 3 switches for something with less than 5A draw. Any help would be appreciated, and if you have any pictures of your wiring setup under the hood or how you routed the wires that would be awesome too.

I'm not very electrically inclined when it comes to install. I'm a Mechanical Nuclear Enginneer in the Navy so I can do all the math and understand how circuits work, I just don't have a lot of experience in wiring them.

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the ford raptor lights kit, ran to switches 3-5, each switch powers 1 set of lights. i ran mine this way because the lights all serve a different purpose.

which specific kit did you get? did it come with a wiring harness? if it didn't i would suggest buying one of the pre-made wire harness kits, makes the install super simple. my wires run along the skid plate and straight up the engine bay and snakes along where the battery sits and plugs into the up fitter wires. here's a helpful how to posted by one of the members.

https://2017-ford-raptor.blogspot.com/2017/11/installation-of-ford-raptor-lights-kit.html

OP
OP
S

SlkRptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the ford raptor lights kit, ran to switches 3-5, each switch powers 1 set of lights. i ran mine this way because the lights all serve a different purpose.

which specific kit did you get? did it come with a wiring harness? if it didn't i would suggest buying one of the pre-made wire harness kits, makes the install super simple. my wires run along the skid plate and straight up the engine bay and snakes along where the battery sits and plugs into the up fitter wires. here's a helpful how to posted by one of the members.

https://2017-ford-raptor.blogspot.com/2017/11/installation-of-ford-raptor-lights-kit.html

Thanks for the reply. As far as kit goes I got the RC 3 pod light system for the holes in the bumper and I also go the 30" light bar to go behind the grille. The communistwealth of VA is stupid about lights so I had to go with a more hidden one. The plus side is with the grille out for install I can run all the lights nice and tidy. I didn't get anything besides the generic harness but I know I just need the plug with the hot wire and ground wire to make them work.

That being said they are all the same style light so my main goal is to use one of them for a fog/driving light on one switch (2 total). I'm going to tie in the other 2 into a another switch (4 total) just to save some switches. The light bar behind the grille will go into another switch so 3 of my 6 switches will be taken up but if I need full light its available.

Before I get flamed for using RC because its cheap or whatever honestly they are lights and they work. I don't do any hardcore offroading I'm mostly limited to the 4x4 beaches in the Outer Banks, NC for fishing and stuff and with the wild horses out and about I wanted a bit more light than the headlights put out for those late night surf fishing nights.

CaptSteve

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As far as kit goes I got the RC 3 pod light system for the holes in the bumper and I also go the 30" light bar to go behind the grille. The communistwealth of VA is stupid about lights so I had to go with a more hidden one. The plus side is with the grille out for install I can run all the lights nice and tidy. I didn't get anything besides the generic harness but I know I just need the plug with the hot wire and ground wire to make them work.

That being said they are all the same style light so my main goal is to use one of them for a fog/driving light on one switch (2 total). I'm going to tie in the other 2 into a another switch (4 total) just to save some switches. The light bar behind the grille will go into another switch so 3 of my 6 switches will be taken up but if I need full light its available.

Before I get flamed for using RC because its cheap or whatever honestly they are lights and they work. I don't do any hardcore offroading I'm mostly limited to the 4x4 beaches in the Outer Banks, NC for fishing and stuff and with the wild horses out and about I wanted a bit more light than the headlights put out for those late night surf fishing nights.

I believe I bought the same lights you did for the bumper. My reason for going with them is about the same as yours. I have not received them yet but hopefully will be installing as soon as i get them.
I was wondering if you ended up having to run them on two separate switches?
I am hoping I can run them on one switch. I think the total amp draw of all the fog lights combined should only be about 9 amps?

OP
OP
S

SlkRptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I bought the same lights you did for the bumper. My reason for going with them is about the same as yours. I have not received them yet but hopefully will be installing as soon as i get them.
I was wondering if you ended up having to run them on two separate switches?
I am hoping I can run them on one switch. I think the total amp draw of all the fog lights combined should only be about 9 amps?

I actually ended up putting each pair onto a separate switch. The wiring wasn't bad but after looking at it I didn't want 6 wires being connected to that small of a wire for the upfitter switch. Also in my state (Virginia) you can get a ticket for displaying more than 4 lights (white, front facing) on public roads. Think of lo beams + fog lights or High beam/low beam. That also factored into wanting to run at least one of the lights as a fog light and have the other 2 available for beach riding. I think it is possible because the draw in lower than the rating, but for the reasons above I just split it all up.

I have 4 of my 6 switches used up but I have room for backup pods and another accesory if I ever choose to get one. Also if you have an 18 make sure you use the correct loom towards the center of the engine bay and seach for the correct wiring colors as it doesn't match the manual.