Getting Flashed!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-04

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Topic revival...

Has anyone experienced difficulty adjusting the headlights? I tried the simple instruction of turning the screw, but the plastic gear it butts up against hardly moves; if I continue turning it the teeth pop out of mesh.

cobraplay

Reaction score
Yes. I am trying to get my headlights adjusted and am fighting the same problem. The Main gear that has the phillips center drives the top (low beam lamp. The teeth on it drive the adjacent gear that has a flexible shaft that goes down to the bottom lamp. As you turn the adjuster it is supposed to adjust both at the same time. I can not turn the adjuster without the gears just popping and not turning the adjacent gear. Both sides are the same. I am about to surrender and take it to the dealer.

Steve-04

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I oiled the gears and everything associated with the mechanism, but still no luck. Its like it turns a small amount but then feels like you're about to break something and the gears pop out of meshing.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds it’s time to have the dealer adjust the lights.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. I am trying to get my headlights adjusted and am fighting the same problem. The Main gear that has the phillips center drives the top (low beam lamp. The teeth on it drive the adjacent gear that has a flexible shaft that goes down to the bottom lamp. As you turn the adjuster it is supposed to adjust both at the same time. I can not turn the adjuster without the gears just popping and not turning the adjacent gear. Both sides are the same. I am about to surrender and take it to the dealer.

I oiled the gears and everything associated with the mechanism, but still no luck. Its like it turns a small amount but then feels like you're about to break something and the gears pop out of meshing.

Sounds like it's simply bottomed out to me. Will it turn the other way freely? If so, you are probably going to have to take the headlight off the truck and put some type of shim in there to angle the whole housing downward more. Then you can use the screw adjustment to get it where it needs to be.

cobraplay

Reaction score
I removed a headlight this weekend to try and figure it out. I sprayed the upper and lower gear assembly with WD-40 and got them to free up by working the adjuster back and forth. There is just too much resistance for the design of the plastic mechanism but at least I can now get them adjusted.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What are you turning it with. At first glance it looks like a Allen, turning that will just make it click with no adjustment. Upon closer inspection its a #2 Phillips...