Aftermarket Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaeGun

Reaction score
I am still torn on whether or not to keep the stock cast alum wheels until Ford Performance Parts starts selling the forged BL capable wheels for the GEN2. Judging on how there seems to be an issue with the forged wheels' availability for those of us who've ordered early, I am going to assume it will be a while before they become available. So I have a couple or so questions that perhaps some of you can help answer for me:

1) Is there anyone who ordered forged BL wheels in the NorCal area who has second thoughts and would like to sell to me? I've already tried to get my local dealer to swap the forged BLs on their "stock" order that hit the lot yesterday for my "retail" order when it hits the lot (probably not until late Jan/Feb) assuming theirs doesn't sell by then (big assumption). I doubt they'd do it. Haven't heard back from them yet.

2) Does anyone know or remember how long it took before the Gen1 beadlock wheels were made available for purchase through Ford Parts after they were debuted as an option?

3) Removing cost from the equation, should I just go aftermarket and forget the Ford Forged BL wheels? Would my truck be better off with aftermarket wheels (cast or forged) that might be better quality than the factory forged ones? A little over a grand for a set of (5?) factory forged aluminum wheels seems awfully inexpensive comparatively....what is their quality?

I know that last question is an opinion/poll question but might help me make up my mind.

Thank you.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@RaeGun This is only my opinion but why not go with the GEN1 forged beadlock capable wheels? To me they are a much better looking wheel. Just a thought

RaeGun

Reaction score
Yes. I thought about the Gen1 forged wheels and may actually do it. I have a few weeks at least before I take delivery on my Raptor so I will mull it over. Thanks for the suggestion.

RaeGun

Reaction score
If I choose a wheel with a +6 offset and a BS of 5 (like a Fuel Trophy) would I have to use wheel spacers to correct the offset to 0 so as to avoid having the wheels sit too far inward? Are there pitfalls to using spacers (e.g. harder to balance etc.)?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I choose a wheel with a +6 offset and a BS of 5 (like a Fuel Trophy) would I have to use wheel spacers to correct the offset to 0 so as to avoid having the wheels sit too far inward? Are there pitfalls to using spacers (e.g. harder to balance etc.)?

Nope, the Trophy w/+6mm offset will stick out +28mm (1.10236 inches) more than the stock wheels w/+34mm offset.

BBLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone keep in mind that when calculating where the face of two wheels will be relative to one another, you must take BOTH the offset and wheel width into account (i.e. the outer face of the 17"x8.5" +34 factory wheel will NOT be in the same place as a 17"x9" +34 aftermarket wheel).

Here is the site I have always used to compare wheel offsets: Wheel Offset Calculator | 1010Tires.com

FWIW I'm looking at ordering a set of 20"x10" +20 wheels that will sit about 33mm further out than the factory wheels.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone keep in mind that when calculating where the face of two wheels will be relative to one another, you must take BOTH the offset and wheel width into account (i.e. the outer face of the 17"x8.5" +34 factory wheel will NOT be in the same place as a 17"x9" +34 aftermarket wheel).

Here is the site I have always used to compare wheel offsets: Wheel Offset Calculator | 1010Tires.com

FWIW I'm looking at ordering a set of 20"x10" +20 wheels that will sit about 33mm further out than the factory wheels.
That's correct that the wheel face will not be at the same depth but most people are concerned about the tire location which is the same depth for the same offsets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BBLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's correct that the wheel face will not be at the same depth but most people are concerned about the tire location which is the same depth for the same offsets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's incorrect. The tire and wheel face will both move the same. Here's an edit from my previous post: the outer face of the 17"x8.5" +34 factory wheel (and the tire) will NOT be in the same place as a 17"x9" +34 aftermarket whee

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Simplest way to think about it is backspace is literally the space from the back of the wheel to the mounting pad.

So if the wheel gets wider, all other things staying the same, the backspace gets bigger as well. Meaning, if the wheel is an inch wider, to make it go "evenly", ie a half inch on the inside and out, then the backspace goes up by 1/2".

If its an inch wider, and you want the extra inch all on the outside, the offset stays the same.

If its an inch wider, and you want all the additional width on the inside, then the offset goes up by 1".