No alternator/voltage/battery gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nogard

Reaction score
This is my first Raptor and I absolutely love the truck but I do find it odd that the instrument cluster has gauges monitoring just about every aspect of the truck but nothing to show the condition of the battery or charging system.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's got an idiot light that'll come on if the alternator stops charging.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yeah but its not reliable, I have had 3 new alternators and a battery and the idiot light never fired. My viper alarm warned me of the trouble with its low battery voltage warnings. The idiot light works for major charging system faults but not battery or minor alternator faults such as degrading voltage regulator under load.

OP
OP
N

Nogard

Reaction score

I saw that while paging through the manual but I thought there surely had to be real time charging system gauge hidden somewhere in the many functions of the digital cluster. Surprisingly, I was wrong in my assumption.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
This is my first Raptor and I absolutely love the truck but I do find it odd that the instrument cluster has gauges monitoring just about every aspect of the truck but nothing to show the condition of the battery or charging system.

I'm curious what can you monitor? The Gen1 has dummy gauges for oil/water and trans. But then there is a "gauge mode" with digital trans temp and nothing more.

Anything new with the Gen2?

OP
OP
N

Nogard

Reaction score
I'm curious what can you monitor? The Gen1 has dummy gauges for oil/water and trans. But then there is a "gauge mode" with digital trans temp and nothing more.

Anything new with the Gen2?

With all the electrical load, such as heated seats and a 400w inverter to name a few I would have expected a battery/voltage gauge to be included in the event something in the electrical system was starting to fail such as the battery or alternator.

I'm not familiar with the Gen1 gauges so I can't really tell you the difference. The Gen2 does have tranny temp, turbo psi, coolant temp, oil pressure and even monitors tire pressure but only an idiot light for the electrical system.

Just about every other vehicle I've owned had a battery gauge (admittedly they weren't all that useful) and I just would have thought with all the bells and whistles of a 65k+ truck and advancements in technology, one would be included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter