GEN 2 ICON .5-2.25" Attitude Adjustment Collar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the same question I asked the other day on collar vs spacer. If you want to maintain as close to your original ride quality as stock you dont want a collar you want a spacer on top as that doesn't put more preload on the spring/shock. Why doesn't someone put a 1.5 inch spacer up top and not do a collar at all? Seems like that would be the best setup.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the same question I asked the other day on collar vs spacer. If you want to maintain as close to your original ride quality as stock you dont want a collar you want a spacer on top as that doesn't put more preload on the spring/shock. Why doesn't someone put a 1.5 inch spacer up top and not do a collar at all? Seems like that would be the best setup.

I'm not sure what the acceptable amount of spacing is with our suspension, but there comes a point where too much spacing causes components that aren't designed to limit droop do and cause damage. I'd think 1.5" would be beyond the acceptable range.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hate to hijack a thread but I think most people would agree that the extra preload isn't a bad thing and in fact an improvement. The impact on ride quality is minimal but definitely better. And as others have said, a spacer will have negative effects.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to hijack a thread but I think most people would agree that the extra preload isn't a bad thing and in fact an improvement. The impact on ride quality is minimal but definitely better. And as others have said, a spacer will have negative effects.

Im still unsure of what the negative affects to a spacer is...its going to remove the same amount of rebound travel as a collar.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICON .5-2.25" Attitude Adjustment Collar

Im still unsure of what the negative affects to a spacer is...its going to remove the same amount of rebound travel as a collar.

You're moving the entire shock down. The shock stroke will now allow everything to travel that same amount further down as the spacer, which if I understand this all right, causes strain/damage/malfunction to your front axles.

I believe this has been proven "ok" for the street queens, but if you plan to fully cycle the suspension I've been told you'll cause damage.

You do not lose any travel in the shock stroke either way you do it.

Last edited:

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Mulis is correct if you're talking about the spacer that goes on top of the strut and acts like stilt for height. By adding that spacer on top your down travel has increased by the size of the spacer putting the axle at a very bad angle and maybe even having the UCA bind the spring. For better explanations from those who have seen the downside to spacer take a look at these threads

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/why-spacers-bad-idea-lots-cv-axle-innards-pics-11645/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/40k-mile-suspension-checkup-binding-blown-shock-bent-frame-10550/

The perch mod may add a little firmness to the ride (good thing IMO) but it keeps the suspension cycling in the range in which it was intended unlike the spacer that puts it 1.5" (or whatever size) out of the proper range.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mulis is correct if you're talking about the spacer that goes on top of the strut and acts like stilt for height. By adding that spacer on top your down travel has increased by the size of the spacer putting the axle at a very bad angle and maybe even having the UCA bind the spring. For better explanations from those who have seen the downside to spacer take a look at these threads

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/why-spacers-bad-idea-lots-cv-axle-innards-pics-11645/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/40k-mile-suspension-checkup-binding-blown-shock-bent-frame-10550/

The perch mod may add a little firmness to the ride (good thing IMO) but it keeps the suspension cycling in the range in which it was intended unlike the spacer that puts it 1.5" (or whatever size) out of the proper range.

ok I may come across as ignorant....because I am... but I am still not understanding why doing a 1inch spacer up top will be any harder on suspension and CVs vs putting 1 inch of height in suspension by increasing the spring preload. That is the part I dont understand.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICON .5-2.25" Attitude Adjustment Collar

ok I may come across as ignorant....because I am... but I am still not understanding why doing a 1inch spacer up top will be any harder on suspension and CVs vs putting 1 inch of height in suspension by increasing the spring preload. That is the part I dont understand.

The point that the shock can droop to is increased by spacers because the shock is now lower. Adding preload to a spring to increase ride height does not have this effect.

At ride height it's the same on the cv angle. The angle at full droop is the difference we are talking about between spacers and preload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rpg preload collar isn't a spacer it's a preload collar. The icon kit comes with a spacer and that is how they claim to increase ride height while keeping factory ride quality. They make it sound like more preload a bad thing even though everyone that has installed the rpg collars says the extra preload an improvement.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk