Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Upgraded Brakes on negative offset wheels

This is a discussion on Upgraded Brakes on negative offset wheels within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
So I rcently upgraded to 18" fuel wheels with 35x1250x18 Ridge Grapplers. They have a negative offset to give the ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Upgraded Brakes on negative offset wheels
So I rcently upgraded to 18" fuel wheels with 35x1250x18 Ridge Grapplers. They have a negative offset to give the truck a pretty mean look. I had pretty much settled on the Alcon brake kit for front and rear but when getting ready to order, I ran across a little note at the bottom I hadn't noticed before.

Wheel Fitment: this brake kit will fit factory wheels and wheels with similar spoke designs and backspacing. The calipers will not clear wheels with low or extreme negative offsets. Please download and use Alcon's Clearance Guide to ensure your wheels will work with Alcon's brake kit.

Now I haven't had the opportunity to download the Clearance Guide since I'm working overseas and don't have immediate access to the truck but this raises some interesting questions. Most importantly, what braking kits are available for negative offset wheels? This can't be limited to the Alcon kit right?

BTW, if no one here has used wheelfire for their truck wheel/tire combos, you should check them out. Pretty fair pricing and they come mounted and balanced.

Abrax01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

A negative offset pushes the wheels out further AWAY from the brakes - you should be fine. You will need different tie rods to run the Alcons though.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
A negative offset pushes the wheels out further AWAY from the brakes - you should be fine. You will need different tie rods to run the Alcons though.
That was my thought too, it's why I'm trying to figure this out. I could see it for something tucked in close but not out far. If this was a big thing I would think other manufacturers of big brake systems like Brembo would have the same issue.
Abrax01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hired Gun

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

No actually it doesn't. The mounting face is the same distance from the caliper. What matters the most is the shape/angle of the spoke.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SilverBolt View Post
No actually it doesn't. The mounting face is the same distance from the caliper. What matters the most is the shape/angle of the spoke.
Yes that matters too but a negative offset pushes the whole wheel out giving more clearance in the spoke area for fatter brakes.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hired Gun

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Yes that matters too but a negative offset pushes the whole wheel out giving more clearance in the spoke area for fatter brakes.
So if you had identical wheels one that was +0 and one the was was -25 the wheel with the -25 would have to be 25mm thicker at the mounting point correct? I would think you would run into issues with the length of your wheel studs.

With different offsets the distance from the caliper to the wheel mounting face stays the same. What change is where within the wheel hoop the wheel center is cast/forged. Negative offset wheels the wheel center is positioned to the rear which gives the wheel a wider lip on the outside. What hasn't changed is the wheel center itself. Changing it's location within the hoop/rim does not change the distance at the mounting point.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

It depends on the design of the wheel and the concavity of the face.

2017 F150 With Mid Travel and King 3.0 coilovers/bypasses. SVC Bypass rack/King 2.5 bumps/Deavers/Camburg shackles.
trophycummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Default Upgraded Brakes on negative offset wheels
Originally Posted by SilverBolt View Post

With different offsets the distance from the caliper to the wheel mounting face stays the same.
With different offset of the same wheel the distance between the caliper and the spokes of the wheel will be completely different. This is what you are clearly not comprehending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

aka etalian2005

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

That wording is incorrect. It should read low or extreme positive offsets. The stock wheels are a 17x8.5 +34 offset. The OEM non-beadlock wheels clear without the included 7mm spacers. The OEM beadlock wheels required the included 7mm spacers for fitment.

If you're running negative offset wheels, you will not have issues with clearance, especially if you're running an 18" wheel as that will give you even more room overall.

We'd be happy to help get you set up with your Alcon Kit and Tie Rod Adapters or aftermarket tie rods. Please let me know if we can get you a quote!

Old 08-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

If you're running negative offset wheels, you will not have issues with clearance, especially if you're running an 18" wheel as that will give you even more room overall.
Yeah that's what I've been saying.