GEN 2 Steering wheel vibration and truck shuddering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously... you guys need to look at the findings and facts from the gen 1 ecoboost crew. They have 6yrs of data showing that this is the fix... it works and is safe.

You guys will cone around...

It may help with whatever you are trying to accomplish, but it is a band aid fix, and there is nothing you can ever say to tell me that opening a hole to atmosphere on the high pressure side of a turbo system is in any way proper. It isnt. It never will be.

I would guess those issues are a combination of improper fuel, high/humid temps, and people not getting on their trucks often enough.

intercooled turbos arent a new thing at all, its not like the 3.5tt is unique, or the first to use an intercooler...

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
It is condition based, but never know when it builds condensate. This is why the hole is so valuable. There is no fix for this... Ford tried de-tuning the engines and installing block off plates over the intercooler. None of that took enough of the efficiency away to make condensate. The outlet tube location for the intercooler is on the bottom- that is a design issue. Some aftermarket intercooler people have figured this out and you will find that pipe at the top of the intercooler.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is condition based, but never know when it builds condensate. This is why the hole is so valuable. There is no fix for this... Ford tried de-tuning the engines and installing block off plates over the intercooler. None of that took enough of the efficiency away to make condensate. The outlet tube location for the intercooler is on the bottom- that is a design issue. Some aftermarket intercooler people have figured this out and you will find that pipe at the top of the intercooler.

I don't disagree with the engineering points

But why don't we see a lot of posts from 2015+ owners, I've asked you a few times and you never reply

If this was such an issue on the current gen, you'd see lots of people doing it, but we're not seeing any of this on the 2015+ models

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for being adults about it.

You actually don't see many posts about it because it is common knowledge to drill this weep hole. Ford can't do it due to factory EPA regulations they have to follow. Walk into a Ford service dept and they know all about this weep hole. They will tell YOU to do it, but they can't do it. There has never been a dispute as to whether or not it works.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped it off at the dealership today after having to get Ford Service on Facebook involved. Dealership rebalanced the tires, again, and are pretty certain my driveshaft is bad. The engine doesn't lug going uphill, low speed, and high gears (8-10), so most likely not a misfiring cylinder.

However, the service tech riding with me could feel the vibrations moreso in the rear of the vehicle and that's why they think it's the driveshaft.

The service manager stated that the 2017 raptors weren't having any issues...

Just waiting to hear back since they won't give me a loaner vehicle.

I assume you got this worked out? I felt some similar hesitation today but after flipping AC off it went away. It feels a lot like the AC is engage/disengaging at WOT and causing truck to stutter. No issue in higher gears low RPM @ WOT either so, I don't think it's an actual misfire. I also occasionally get reverse or low RPM hesitation (also avoided with AC off).

Do these EBs just hate having AC compressor engaged??

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you got this worked out? I felt some similar hesitation today but after flipping AC off it went away. It feels a lot like the AC is engage/disengaging at WOT and causing truck to stutter. No issue in higher gears low RPM @ WOT either so, I don't think it's an actual misfire. I also occasionally get reverse or low RPM hesitation (also avoided with AC off).

Do these EBs just hate having AC compressor engaged??

Mine will do it too with AC on intermittently. I've seen other posts on EB, and this is a common theme among them. Does not worry me at all. Your assessment on the load the AC puts on the system is correct.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
I think most of your shuddering and misfires are due to , Factory plugs set at varying gaps, this was a well known problem on GEN1 EB . Factory plugs were all over the place. poor quality control. Other is 87 octane in a boosted engine timing is getting pulled these engines have very sensitive knocksensors . You should use highest octane available. GEN 1 EB was a 20 hp diffrence between 87 and 91 octane. Ford rated the HP at 365hp on Gen1 and 87 octane. 20hp increase was due to increased timing before it knocked. I have a fully modded EB 2014 Tremor. On my SCT running a tune and 91 i average in hotter months seeing knock values pull 1 degree of timing or 2 deg. When i know i will be going to the track or local grudge race, I will run e30 and 2 min after leaving the gas station i see the knock values decrease and its adding 7 degrees of timing. When i get home I change over to my E30 tune. Set for more fuel and timing. Weep hole i would not do it unless you see build up in intercooler moisture and oil mix. My intercooler has been spotless inside with 17,000 miles now. I live in a dry climate. For those in high humidity locations the weep hole does eliminate moisture build up because it is drilled at the lowest point where it collects and the hole is very tiny 1/16 of an inch. There is a minimum amount of a boost leak but not enough to cause any issues. What happened to GEN1 motors that blew due to condensation. If you drive normal and putz around a lot in high humidy ,condensation will build up in the intercooler. Then at some point you go to full boost getting on interstate or traffic condition , towing. that slug of water that has collected gets sucked up charge pipe into the intake manifold and you will get a severe misfire and if enough water gets in it will break connecting rods. Liquid does not compress. I only get 10,000 miles on a set of plugs , i set the gap to 28 thousands within 10,000 miles they opened up to 33 and 34 thousands and i was getting a WOT misfire. My Tremor dynos at 425 HP and 550TQ at the wheels.