House of Boost Tuning +40hp +75ft-lb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ed Zachary. The "leftovers" that are/were on the table from the factory for the standard 3.5L EB have been partially consumed by Ford engineers for the HO 3.5L EB. As I understand it. the HO version has some different wheels in the turbos which will contribute to its overall max output being higher than would otherwise be possible (with standard 3.5L EB hardware), but in terms of gains over stock, there just isn't going to be as much headroom with the HO motor.

For another example, look at the 5.2L Voodoo motor vs. the 5.0L Coyote... with a full exhaust upgrade, the Voodoo gains ~24 rwhp, while the Coyote gains 40+ rwhp. Why? Because the Voodoo factory exhaust was better than the Coyote factory exhaust.

I'd be happy with another 50-60 HP. It's already pretty dang quick... stock.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tune is guaranteed a super conservative tune, 5 Star has already blown that out of the water. Then just wait until MPT has a PRX tune available, they're datalogged and usually near the top for gains while still being completely safe. Livernois are usually a little more aggressive than 5 Star as well.

I'm waiting for the turbo swaps so we can move some air on the top end. They offer turbo swaps for the old Ecoboost and you see a little more bottom-midrange, but a hell of a lot more top end, and the best part is they're pretty inexpensive. $2500 for a couple turbos from is ridiculously cheap IMO, the turbo swaps for my 5.5L TT AMG are like $12000 lol.

2011-2016 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Cavalli Turbo Upgrade | MPT Performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uV5aGpHHFs

JerryTX

Reaction score
The Gen 2 Raptor EB comes with 51mm turbos and yes Ford did rework the compressor wheel but the housing did not change. As a Gen 1 guy that tried upgraded compressor wheels only, it only amounts to a small improvement.. 10-15rwhp max? It was so small I didn't bother doing a dyno, I pulled them and went right to 58mm Ford GT turbos.

The heads on the Gen 2 Raptor are where the magic happens compared to the Gen 1. I have a set of Gen 2 Raptor manifolds in hand and having had many sets of Gen 1 in hand, I can tell you the Raptor has bigger ports. The Gen 1 EB is limited by the early 48mm turbos and the later 51mm turbos, and the stock cylinder heads.

The Gen 2 Raptor is limited less by head flow but more by outright turbo limitations. Move to 58mm Ford GT turbos and the Raptor could see ~ 575bhp on 93 octane. I am sure with **** or E85 some will push it further. The difference between the Ford GT top end and the Gen 2 Raptor are the 58mm turbos, better manifolds for the GT, 9.0:1 compression, and 30psi for the GT, and unknown heads and cams (but probably close to Raptor setup, at least the heads).

I also have a complete Raptor exhaust in hand as we are developing parts to help. What I can say about the exhaust is that the downpipes on the raptor will become a restriction (the factory cats) as you up the power. The catback on the Gen 2 should not be a horsepower restriction below 500rwhp, there is just a great opportunity to improve the sound IMO.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen 2 Raptor EB comes with 51mm turbos and yes Ford did rework the compressor wheel but the housing did not change. As a Gen 1 guy that tried upgraded compressor wheels only, it only amounts to a small improvement.. 10-15rwhp max? It was so small I didn't bother doing a dyno, I pulled them and went right to 58mm Ford GT turbos.

The heads on the Gen 2 Raptor are where the magic happens compared to the Gen 1. I have a set of Gen 2 Raptor manifolds in hand and having had many sets of Gen 1 in hand, I can tell you the Raptor has bigger ports. The Gen 1 EB is limited by the early 48mm turbos and the later 51mm turbos, and the stock cylinder heads.

The Gen 2 Raptor is limited less by head flow but more by outright turbo limitations. Move to 58mm Ford GT turbos and the Raptor could see ~ 575bhp on 93 octane. I am sure with **** or E85 some will push it further. The difference between the Ford GT top end and the Gen 2 Raptor are the 58mm turbos, better manifolds for the GT, 9.0:1 compression, and 30psi for the GT, and unknown heads and cams (but probably close to Raptor setup, at least the heads).

I also have a complete Raptor exhaust in hand as we are developing parts to help. What I can say about the exhaust is that the downpipes on the raptor will become a restriction (the factory cats) as you up the power. The catback on the Gen 2 should not be a horsepower restriction below 500rwhp, there is just a great opportunity to improve the sound IMO.
Good info. I will be one of the first in line when new turbos are available for this engine, the drive pressure with these little turbine sides is probably ridiculous when you start moving over 20 psi.

That's awesome you have looked at the heads... what kind of difference in head flow are we talking, I haven't seen that discussed anywhere. I did see pics of the new exhaust manifolds and was shocked how much better they look than first gen manifolds.

As far as exhaust, I actually like the factory exhaust tone, if anything I would go a little more wide open with the muffler (and either catless or high flow downpipes) but still wouldn't add an X or H pipe. There's been a few catback systems posted here that have a cross-pipe or muffler with combined flow and I think they sound worse than stock. The AFE I believe remains true dual and sounds good IMO.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info. I will be one of the first in line when new turbos are available for this engine, the drive pressure with these little turbine sides is probably ridiculous when you start moving over 20 psi.

That's awesome you have looked at the heads... what kind of difference in head flow are we talking, I haven't seen that discussed anywhere. I did see pics of the new exhaust manifolds and was shocked how much better they look than first gen manifolds.

As far as exhaust, I actually like the factory exhaust tone, if anything I would go a little more wide open with the muffler (and either catless or high flow downpipes) but still wouldn't add an X or H pipe. There's been a few catback systems posted here that have a cross-pipe or muffler with combined flow and I think they sound worse than stock. The AFE I believe remains true dual and sounds good IMO.

bolt on turbos are already available, the truck uses the same turbo housing as the ecoboost f150s that have been out for 6 years already. Bolt on turbos for that will bolt on to this

JerryTX

Reaction score
bolt on turbos are already available, the truck uses the same turbo housing as the ecoboost f150s that have been out for 6 years already. Bolt on turbos for that will bolt on to this

The current crop of Gen 1 3.5EB turbos have a different bolt pattern and will not bolt up to a Raptor manifold. Gen 1 manifolds won't work on the Gen 2 head either.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I don't have the Raptor heads in hand but the ports on the manifold are 15% larger from Gen 1 manifolds. For reference, Gen 1 heads exhaust port is 31% smaller than the exhaust manifold opening. That in and of itself doesn't mean it's bad, the rest of the head design tells the story. The G1 manifolds themselves are very constrictive. The Raptor manifolds are still a log manifold but do have some design consideration to blend the air a little better than a G1 manifold. For that reason I'm fairly sure (no data yet) the 20psi a Raptor is making is a lot more volume of air then 20psi on a Gen 1, that is head constrained.

Exhaust: Once you go high flow cats the tone resembles a tuba. Can't comment more on the exhaust till we are closer on that topic. Sorry.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about gen 2? Its the same housing. The pdp turbo adapters are the same part.

JerryTX

Reaction score
What about gen 2? Its the same housing. The pdp turbo adapters are the same part.

True: the exhaust outlet adapter that goes between the turbo and the downpipe is the same. Haven't figured out why they changed the exhaust manifold to turbo bolt pattern though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True: the exhaust outlet adapter that goes between the turbo and the downpipe is the same. Haven't figured out why they changed the exhaust manifold to turbo bolt pattern though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really appreciate the great info, thanks. How do you know so much about these motors? Ive learned a ton from this thread!