Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Maybe my truck has always did this, but recently I’d give the engine a slight rev the. I’d hear this ticking noise from the front end as it revs back down. Does it every time you give it a slight rev. Almost like a bad bearing or something. You don’t hear it when you’re driving though.

Any thoughts? Normal?

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sasquatch is very knowledgeable about the engines in the raptor. Actually he is a eco boost engine engineer. Hopefully he will tune in and share his wisdom. Maybe he will share how to get the best exhaust sound out of it.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the foam engine cover off and listen to the valve cover on the front end, each side, while someone else gives it slight revs. My 2017 does not make that noise. Sounds like cam phaser :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Take the foam engine cover off and listen to the valve cover on the front end, each side, while someone else gives it slight revs. My 2017 does not make that noise. Sounds like cam phaser :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely do this to try and self diagnose.

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sasquatch is very knowledgeable about the engines in the raptor. Actually he is a eco boost engine engineer. Hopefully he will tune in and share his wisdom. Maybe he will share how to get the best exhaust sound out of it.

OMG are you ******* kidding me?

MGD couldn't engineer a vibrator into his own ass, but not for lack of trying. He has disgraced the entire sasquatch clan.

OP
OP
M

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop manager said it doesn’t sound like a cam phaser. Sounds like a valve of some sort (not a waste gate rattle). I’ll keep you guys posted! If I never revved the engine, I would have never noticed it - damnnit.

OP
OP
M

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the rattle on start up, this one is when warm and in idle during a light rev of the engine. Coming from the front of the engine.

Supposedly they called the raptor hotline and two other cases were reported. They updated the PCM with an updated file and it resolved the issue.