Available Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 2000 mile stock dyno 416whp? Isn't that about a 9% parasitic drivetrain loss? How is that possible?

You are incorrectly assuming that this dyno is somehow related to the dyno that Ford used to get it's 450HP number. You can not compare different dynos.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
You are incorrectly assuming that this dyno is somehow related to the dyno that Ford used to get it's 450HP number. You can not compare different dynos.

No assumption. Ford's HP is a claimed 450 at the crank. The 416hp number is at the wheels. There is always a loss of power from the crank to the wheels. Everything that moves eats power. Normal loss for an automatic transmission is in the 15%-20% range. I have never seen a vehicle dyno with only a 9% loss. That is better than most manual transmission vehicles. If it is accurate the new 10-Spd is a very efficient transmission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No assumption. Ford's HP is a claimed 450 at the crank. The 416hp number is at the wheels. There is always a loss of power from the crank to the wheels. Everything that moves eats power. Normal loss for an automatic transmission is in the 15%-20% range. I have never seen a vehicle dyno with only a 9% loss. That is better than most manual transmission vehicles. If it is accurate the new 10-Spd is a very efficient transmission.

Again, you are assuming that the 416HP at the wheels is somehow related to the 450HP that Ford claims at the crank.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again, it is absolutely related. Do a little homework on parasitic drivetrain loss before responding again.

You are missing my point. I am well aware of dynos and parasitic loss. You are assuming that the truck that 5 star dyno'd would put down EXACTLY 450HP at the crank on the dyno that 5 star used. My point is, you can not compare different dynos, parasitic loss has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

If you take the SAME truck to 5 different dynos you will get 5 different sets of numbers. So again, you are assuming 5 star's dyno would show 450HP at the crank when in fact, it clearly does not.

Boosted

Reaction score
If you take the SAME truck to 5 different dynos you will get 5 different sets of numbers. So again, you are assuming 5 star's dyno would show 450HP at the crank when in fact, it clearly does not.

This is absolutely correct. Dyno numbers shouldn't really be compared to factory claimed crank HP numbers. A dyno should be merely used as a tuning tool.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
You are missing my point. I am well aware of dynos and parasitic loss. You are assuming that the truck that 5 star dyno'd would put down EXACTLY 450HP at the crank on the dyno that 5 star used. My point is, you can not compare different dynos, parasitic loss has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

5 Star's dyno can't show 450 at the crank because they use a chassis dyno. The factory claim of 450hp is the baseline used by all tuners. You are correct that all dyno's are going to give different readings. Even within the same type and brand of dyno the readings can be different. They all have a +/- accuracy factor. With that in mind either Ford's rating of 450 is under rated or the drivetrain is extremely efficient.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man those are some nice gains!!

As far as the higher hp after some miles I didn't really flog on my truck until it had 700 miles on it. But after a couple WOT runs with 800 miles on it compared to some I did at around 2,000 miles on it I immediately thought it had more power. I wouldn't be surprised to find the PMC is pulling timing and or boost for a certain amount of the intial miles.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5 Star's dyno can't show 450 at the crank because they use a chassis dyno. The factory claim of 450hp is the baseline used by all tuners. You are correct that all dyno's are going to give different readings. Even within the same type and brand of dyno the readings can be different. They all have a +/- accuracy factor. With that in mind either Ford's rating of 450 is under rated or the drivetrain is extremely efficient.

This is my last post regarding this since we are getting no where. You need to take Ford's 450HP number, and throw it away, it is meaningless in this thread, period.