SCAB vs SCREW TOWING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After obsessing over every detail and option, I ordered my supercab under the impression 'the raptor tow capacity is 8000 lbs'. About two weeks ago - specs were released showing supercab having a 6000lb limit, and crew 8000lbs. This effectively makes towing my two trailers with a scab illegal, and I need a screw. Of course, I can't change my order now. Very frustrated.

My dealer called me today and says he's checking his e-source (which he claims is updated constantly) and it says 8k for both....and he said he had to take a 'test' from ford on the raptor 2 days ago and 8k was the answer re towing. We have been trying to discern between what it says on ford.com/specifications where it clearly shows 6 vs 8k lbs. So we are currently hovering between two documents, trying to figure out which is correct. He's claiming his e-source is more reliable than ford.com. For what it's worth, my dealer seems to be making a solid honest effort to help and get this cleared up. Does anyone have any confirmation or other sources of information re the towing limit? (not a magazine article)

Last edited:

17Jake

REBEL 12 HK
Reaction score
shot_149__c8ad5c6f0d7be4271d871b61f72c5c3c37442ce9.png

Weight-Distributing > spring bars/snap-up brackets required.
racket_06_bf5bd78391a8fec6f3ee1711b87547e4465fac9d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I saw that canadian owner's manual supplement and the towing specs on ford.com. Dealer is claiming they are misprints/incorrect and that it's 8k lbs.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah I saw that canadian owner's manual supplement and the towing specs on ford.com. Dealer is claiming they are misprints/incorrect and that it's 8k lbs.

I doubt it. It was the same way on the first gen. The SCAB had the lower rating. I think it has to do with the short wheelbase? Hopefully for your sake I'm wrong but my guess is it's less.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, for the sake of argument, let's say that there is a difference in rated towing capacity between the S-cab and S-crew... what difference between the two trucks would justify that?

Frame (strength), suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, etc... between them are all the same. The only differences would be the wheelbase and the size of the fuel tank (the S-crew gets the 36 gallon tank while the S-cab gets a smaller unit). As we all know, the S-cab Raptor is the ONLY way (currently) to get the 5.5' bed without also getting the full four-door crew cab. That means that (again, as we all know), the S-cab Raptor will have the shortest wheelbase of any F150 configuration. If I were a betting man, I would bet that there is an engineering guideline somewhere within Ford that speaks to wheelbase vs. payload/towing capacity... that was probably created with something like the Ranger in mind. Obviously, something like the Ranger won't have the, uh, fortitude, of the Raptor, and so that guideline may have been applicable in the past; and the S-cab Raptor (and it's attendant short wheelbase) would be an exception to that guideline.

Or I could be full of shit. Your choice.

OP
OP
L

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. It was the same way on the first gen. The SCAB had the lower rating. I think it has to do with the short wheelbase? Hopefully for your sake I'm wrong but my guess is it's less.

My gut tells me you're right...the shorter wheelbase etc..makes sense... however that said, the scab and screw regular f150's have the same tow rating essentially. I get the raptor has more suspension travel and may be less stable..but 2000lbs is a pretty big differential for the same driveline.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My gut tells me you're right...the shorter wheelbase etc..makes sense... however that said, the scab and screw regular f150's have the same tow rating essentially. I get the raptor has more suspension travel and may be less stable..but 2000lbs is a pretty big differential for the same driveline.

The regular F150 SCAB isn't offered with a short bed like the Raptor. It's offered with the 6.5" bed essentially making the wheelbase the same as a raptor SCREW. I think that's the difference.

Raptor SCAB 134"
Raptor Screw 145"
F150 SCAB with 6.5" box 145"

Still just speculation but after towing a 5k boat with a Range Rover Sport, I can see why the short wheel base would rated lower. The boat practically steered tow rig lol.

OP
OP
L

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regular F150 SCAB isn't offered with a short bed like the Raptor. It's offered with the 6.5" bed essentially making the wheelbase the same as a raptor SCREW. I think that's the difference.

Raptor SCAB 134"
Raptor Screw 145"
F150 SCAB with 6.5" box 145"

Still just speculation but after towing a 5k boat with a Range Rover Sport, I can see why the short wheel base would rated lower. The boat practically steered tow rig lol.

Very good point about the length. I hear you..I used to tow with a half ton tahoe and moving to my current ram 2500 diesel, it's not even comparable.

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I occasionally rent a Skid Steer or Mini Excavator. My 05 Titan has no issues. I am a little concerned about the 8K vs 9500K capacity difference. Again its only occasional, a couple or few times a year...But I bet a simple skid steer or mini set up with trailer pushes that 8K limit....