Are Raptor sales a high for some dealers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
I've been looking for a Raptor now for almost a year. On the hunt for an Avalanche, no accents, 802a, tech, moon, heated wheel and bench as qualifiers. I've found at least 10 that meet these criteria...I didn't buy new because (ironically) a ford parts driver drove into me and totalled my X5M and the settlement process was an 8-month nightmare so I was stuck in to getting used since I wanted AG and dealer allocations were mostly done. There always seems to be a caveat to the used ones. They're either at dealers that think they're worth more than they are and so they sit (like two I'm currently looking at) or they sell so damn fast I can't even get a deposit down (like one that I'm waiting for tomorrow to see if the guy comes through).

I was talking to a dealer where the guy flat out tells me after a few emails back and forth that essentially... he knows they're too high on it. He see's and understands the comps, but his sales manager won't let him budge on the price. They've had it since the first week of December. Seem's crazy to me that a dealer should allow $60k to be tied up to try and make an extra couple grand if some ol' stupid soul happens to walk across the lot.

Then you have the Koons Sterling Ford of the world that still has new 2017's on the lot because they're charging MSRP plus $10k still.

It's just crazy to me from a business mindset as to what these dealers are doing. It almost seems like they're either chasing that high of making a ton on mark up or that they've bought these trucks from other dealers or at auction so high and now the "willing to pay mark up" bubble has burst so they just sit there to avoid being a negative ROI.

Have a few irons in the fire... Lots of Avalanche's showing up on the market.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's too much dumb money in NOVA so the dealers don't care.

I know you are talking about a used truck, but I found every supercab within a couple hundred miles had an ADM on it. I bought a truck in the rust belt at MSRP and drove it back.

They definitely do not have $60K in it though most dealer cars are financed short term so they only pay interest to keep it on the lot. They will gladly let a truck sit on the lot for an extra month or two to collect $5K more.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I tried working with Koons too, and we’re former customers. Best I got was 5k over with them and I told them bluntly I had an MSRP deal on the table, for more options and cost LESS than what they were asking within driving distance.

No joy. So I drove further, got more truck and paid less.

@realjones88 speaks the truth. lots of NoVA denizens with more money than sense. expand your search horizons. Only a few dealers in driving distance of Metro DC will touch MSRP or <shiver> under MSRP on a Raptor. Sadly, those dealers aren’t “volume” dealers who get 7-10 allocations.

Ford has their heads firmly inserted into their own @$$es on how this allocation silliness works.

last year to 15 months ago, there was a lot of speculation that the market would either correct the ADM stupidity or the trucks would get bought be people with enough money to handle it. Here we are a year later, a model year and several months later and there are 17’s still sitting around with ADM hanging on them like an albatross around their necks.

The reason for keeping these trucks in inventory escapes me but hey, it’s their money.

OP
OP
Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
There's too much dumb money in NOVA so the dealers don't care.

I know you are talking about a used truck, but I found every supercab within a couple hundred miles had an ADM on it. I bought a truck in the rust belt at MSRP and drove it back.

They definitely do not have $60K in it though most dealer cars are financed short term so they only pay interest to keep it on the lot. They will gladly let a truck sit on the lot for an extra month or two to collect $5K more.

The irony is that they aren't moving... lol Koons has had some of the same 2017's on the lot for 6-8 months it seems... and now they're trying to move them for MSRP+ while 2018's sit on the lot with $10k adjustments.

I never buy in the DMV... It's one of the toughest places in the country to get a deal. Plus I love the traveling and road trip aspect of going outside the area.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

The reason for keeping these trucks in inventory escapes me but hey, it’s their money.

This is what I don't get... Inventory is inventory. I would rather sell at MSRP, make the money and use the money to buy other vehicles that will move. The raptor is all good but it's an advertisement tool for them. I would think the real money is made on the other vehicles like standard f150's and explorers.

Stinson

Reaction score
I've been looking for a Raptor now for almost a year. On the hunt for an Avalanche, no accents, 802a, tech, moon, heated wheel and bench as qualifiers. I've found at least 10 that meet these criteria...I didn't buy new because (ironically) a ford parts driver drove into me and totalled my X5M and the settlement process was an 8-month nightmare so I was stuck in to getting used since I wanted AG and dealer allocations were mostly done. There always seems to be a caveat to the used ones. They're either at dealers that think they're worth more than they are and so they sit (like two I'm currently looking at) or they sell so damn fast I can't even get a deposit down (like one that I'm waiting for tomorrow to see if the guy comes through).

I was talking to a dealer where the guy flat out tells me after a few emails back and forth that essentially... he knows they're too high on it. He see's and understands the comps, but his sales manager won't let him budge on the price. They've had it since the first week of December. Seem's crazy to me that a dealer should allow $60k to be tied up to try and make an extra couple grand if some ol' stupid soul happens to walk across the lot.

Then you have the Koons Sterling Ford of the world that still has new 2017's on the lot because they're charging MSRP plus $10k still.

It's just crazy to me from a business mindset as to what these dealers are doing. It almost seems like they're either chasing that high of making a ton on mark up or that they've bought these trucks from other dealers or at auction so high and now the "willing to pay mark up" bubble has burst so they just sit there to avoid being a negative ROI.

Have a few irons in the fire... Lots of Avalanche's showing up on the market.

Good luck on your search. You have a pretty good list of qualifiers. I have an Avalanche 802a with tech, and bead locks, no accent, no heated wheel, and no moon roof. Truck has 11K miles on it all stock, not a ding or scratch and never been in the snow or even the salt. It is my 3rd vehicle so it has never been salty. I am in Frederick.

I have been toying with the idea of new Superduty.......

conflict

Reaction score
koons, ted britt, and jerrys ****** me around. Sheehy in Warrenton took care of me.

it was a drive but I got my new avalanche for sticker there.

OP
OP
Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
Good luck on your search. You have a pretty good list of qualifiers. I have an Avalanche 802a with tech, and bead locks, no accent, no heated wheel, and no moonroof. Truck has 11K miles on it all stock, not a ding or scratch and never been in the snow or even the salt. It is my 3rd vehicle so it has never been salty. I am in Frederick.

I have been toying with the idea of new Superduty.......

Thanks. I'm seeing most of the Raptors for 18' are coming pretty standard with the dealers already ordering these items and more.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

koons, ted britt, and jerrys ****** me around. Sheehy in Warrenton took care of me.

it was a drive but I got my new avalanche for sticker there.

Sheehy was one of the worse ones for me. Middle River is selling 18's at sticker. I may end up going that route.

I found a 17' avalanche that meets my wants in crossroads in Va. but they aren't doing a very good job of follow up. I talk to a guy at their NC location and he says they want $5k over MSRP for 18' and MSRP for 17'. I sent him a bunch of comps with 18's at MSRP and 4 18's below MSRP to see where they stand.