Question for you experienced guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a new old guy in here and have a question for you all. I made the mistake of driving a Raptor while truck shopping and really liked it. I'm looking for an '18. I like the short cab myself, I have an extended cab Chevy now and like the size just fine. I see most dealers stock the crew cab. Is a short cab truck a disadvantage when I want to sell or trade down the road? Thanks for any feedback.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the general consensus is that the super cab (scab) has less appeal than the super crew for most buyers so it has a smaller resale market.

The general consensus among scab owners is that they don't give a **** and buy what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I couldn't help but wonder why the scabs were is such short supply at dealers. There few and far between compared to the crew.

Glad I could be of some help. If the Raptor is really just your next vehicle and you don't care I would say go with the super crew (screw). I went with the scab but it was because I really prefer the looks of the scab and I had never needed the space in my last screw.

Most scabs are special orders.. most of what you find at dealers, in general, are fully loaded trucks. Dealers definitely have an incentive to order screws for stock because of the market.

Either way you can't go wrong with the truck!

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You pretty much described how I feel exactly, I like the shorter look, and don't really need the room. When I do occasionally use the rear seat it is mostly just to hold my guns and range bag. I don't think anyone ever sat back there since I owned it.

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right?! I’ve owned a double cab Tacoma and a lariat screw since ‘11. I can count on 1 hand when someone sat in the rear. That’s one reason I bought my scab and the other was the turning radius in the screw. Got tired of having to angle that beast just right to park the damn thing!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A little bit of background from a 2017 SCAB owner....

Back in 2010 SCAB was the only option, as Ford didn't want to compromise the off-road capability of the truck. Everyone complained, and so they made SCREWs the following year, and now 9/10 trucks are SCREWs. fx4210 is right in his comments (also you made me chuckle). Do note tho, on the used market there is a demand for SCABs as dedicated off-road rigs, so from what I've seen you don't have to worry about selling a SCAB if you're willing to put in the effort to advertise it.

07Alloy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had both, I think the scabs handle much much better on and offroad. You can maneuver the truck much better on the shorter truck. Plus my scab felt a lot more faster, I assume due to the lighter weight. I miss the scab but with two kids the screw is better for my needs now.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i'd urge you to take a look at the difference in crash test results between the two.

The lack of the b pillar in the scabs makes for scary crash test results. The screw seems to fair much better.

All things considered, the screw was the right fit for me. The huge flat floor makes road trips with my monster dog ( who is getting old) really comfortable for him. ( he is 180 lbs)