Omg Engine disintegration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theman1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a Bill Currie mechanic told ya that kinda bullshite.... Is it at Veterans Ford? I pick mine up there next month....

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Well, hopefully just a turbo disintegration…

Have owned my 2017 raptor for a few months now and I absolutely love it. No problems, other than the annoying ticking noise from under the hood even while idling in my driveway. Have been told a few times previously that this is normal because of the direct injectors.

Yesterday morning the ticking sounded louder than normal and I could even hear it inside the truck while driving when the radio volume was low.
Yesterday afternoon while accelerating up the highway entrance ramp all of the sudden I lost power, check engine light came on, and every now and then I could hear the sound of metal shrapnel under the hood. I was able to manage 35 or 40 mph to get to the next exit where I knew there was a Ford dealer (on this part of the expressway through Tampa there is no emergency lane to get out of other motorists' way) Another light came on – a wrench icon LOL – and then I could hear the shrapnel sound underneath the truck. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw nothing so I'm assuming these were bits of metal rattling along inside the exhaust, which leads me to believe this is a turbo issue.
I barely made it to the Ford dealer, coasting up to the service drive and it died right there.
No smoke from under the hood, no noticeable smoke while I was driving, but when I got out of the truck there was a slight noticeable burning smell.
The engine itself seemed to rev smoothly, but could not make any power. If this was an internal issue, like pistons/rods/crankshaft, etc. I would think it would shudder very badly.
Obviously, I'm hoping it is just a turbo because if it is anything internal I'm not sure I even want to keep the truck even after they fix it. Also, if the compressor side of the turbo failed where would THAT debris have gone? Is the intercooler between the turbo and the intake manifold so that hopefully the shrapnel would have stopped at the intercooler? I have no idea.
Any thoughts that might help me rest over the next few days (they cannot even look at the truck until Tuesday) are much appreciated!

Welcome to the ecoboost life.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that really sucks. I really hope there's no damage to the long block... keep us in the loop!

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If turbo grenaded, which is what it sounds like, nothing is getting to the motor. Not a hard fix. New turbo and make sure they pull the intercooler and lines and get everything out of there. Good time for an intercooler upgrade.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

After thinking about it, maybe time to upgrade the turbo :)

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the turbo cold side did let go, I would have them pull everything including the head. The intercooler will trap the bigger pieces, but its not a filter, the bar and plate openings are pretty large and a decent amount of metal will still get to the head. You said it revs smoothly, if you had a turbo failure, your engine will stumble when you rev it...

OP
OP
Reaction score
If the turbo cold side did let go, I would have them pull everything including the head. The intercooler will trap the bigger pieces, but its not a filter, the bar and plate openings are pretty large and a decent amount of metal will still get to the head. You said it revs smoothly, if you had a turbo failure, your engine will stumble when you rev it...

Sorry, what I meant was it seemed as though the engine was operating smoothly but absolutely would not make any power and rev up. No shuddering or anything like that.
It is strange to me that even if a turbo were to fail why would that keep the engine from revving up? I understand that it couldn't make a lot of horsepower but if the hot side of the turbo failed you would think the engine could still operate. Unless it just throws so many sensors and things out of whack?

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Something else crossed my mind – can I MAKE the dealer show me the part that failed (like a turbo)? In other words, if it's the turbo, I would certainly want to know if it was just the hot side that failed or if the cold side failed, since I would be concerned about were THOSE pieces ended up

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you had a wastegate failure. Since a few people have reporting sounds from the solenoid arm, maybe yours is stuck open, and won't make any boost. Usually if you had a failure of the turbine or compressor, the center housing would be damaged and you would see some sort of smoke from the oil or coolant leaking into the exhaust side. Very interested in hearing what the dealer tells you, yes, you can ask them to show you the failed parts.