Omg Engine disintegration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well, hopefully just a turbo disintegration…

Have owned my 2017 raptor for a few months now and I absolutely love it. No problems, other than the annoying ticking noise from under the hood even while idling in my driveway. Have been told a few times previously that this is normal because of the direct injectors.

Yesterday morning the ticking sounded louder than normal and I could even hear it inside the truck while driving when the radio volume was low.
Yesterday afternoon while accelerating up the highway entrance ramp all of the sudden I lost power, check engine light came on, and every now and then I could hear the sound of metal shrapnel under the hood. I was able to manage 35 or 40 mph to get to the next exit where I knew there was a Ford dealer (on this part of the expressway through Tampa there is no emergency lane to get out of other motorists' way) Another light came on – a wrench icon LOL – and then I could hear the shrapnel sound underneath the truck. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw nothing so I'm assuming these were bits of metal rattling along inside the exhaust, which leads me to believe this is a turbo issue.
I barely made it to the Ford dealer, coasting up to the service drive and it died right there.
No smoke from under the hood, no noticeable smoke while I was driving, but when I got out of the truck there was a slight noticeable burning smell.
The engine itself seemed to rev smoothly, but could not make any power. If this was an internal issue, like pistons/rods/crankshaft, etc. I would think it would shudder very badly.
Obviously, I'm hoping it is just a turbo because if it is anything internal I'm not sure I even want to keep the truck even after they fix it. Also, if the compressor side of the turbo failed where would THAT debris have gone? Is the intercooler between the turbo and the intake manifold so that hopefully the shrapnel would have stopped at the intercooler? I have no idea.
Any thoughts that might help me rest over the next few days (they cannot even look at the truck until Tuesday) are much appreciated!

MKomertz

Reaction score

Have owned my 2017 raptor for a few months now and I absolutely love it. No problems, other than the annoying ticking noise from under the hood even while idling in my driveway. Have been told a few times previously that this is normal because of the direct injectors.

Yesterday morning the ticking sounded louder than normal and I could even hear it inside the truck while driving when the radio volume was low.

Yesterday afternoon while accelerating up the highway entrance ramp all of the sudden I lost power, check engine light came on, and every now and then I could hear the sound of metal shrapnel under the hood. I was able to manage 35 or 40 mph to get to the next exit where I knew there was a Ford dealer (on this part of the expressway through Tampa there is no emergency lane to get out of other motorists' way) Another light came on – a wrench icon LOL – and then I could hear the shrapnel sound underneath the truck. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw nothing so I'm assuming these were bits of metal rattling along inside the exhaust, which leads me to believe this is a turbo issue.

I barely made it to the Ford dealer, coasting up to the service drive and it died right there.

No smoke from under the hood, no noticeable smoke while I was driving, but when I got out of the truck there was a slight noticeable burning smell.

The engine itself seemed to rev smoothly, but could not make any power. If this was an internal issue, like pistons/rods/crankshaft, etc. I would think it would shudder very badly.

Obviously, I'm hoping it is just a turbo because if it is anything internal I'm not sure I even want to keep the truck even after they fix it. Also, if the compressor side of the turbo failed where would THAT debris have gone? Is the intercooler between the turbo and the intake manifold so that hopefully the shrapnel would have stopped at the intercooler? I have no idea.

Any thoughts that might help me rest over the next few days (they cannot even look at the truck until Tuesday) are much appreciated!

Sorry to hear about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMW!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably sit in the intercooler. Chances of digesting large metal is probably slim. Metal dust,particulates possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep intercooler. Do you have anything blocking it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

derekg1988

Reaction score

How many miles and when was the build date?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Recommend you do a thorough personal check-out of the truck before you accept it back from the dealer. Dress for crawling under the truck. Pound on the whole exhaust track with your hand and listen for loose metal rattling around in there. Check everything.

Best of luck to you on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter