Forward Collision Warning fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim182d

Reaction score
I searched the forum for this but didn't find much, so sorry if it's there and I missed it.

For the second time since getting my Gen 2 back in June, I received a pop-up message (while driving) stating "Collision Warning Not Available Sensor Blocked See Manual" This was followed by a pop-up message stating "Adaptive Cruise Not Available Sensor Blocked See Manual"

In both instances I was driving in medium to heavy rain...six to eight weeks between experiences, but then again it's been that long since it rained here. Stock front bumper. No aftermarket devices installed, nor have I done a tune or changes to programming.

Today the dealer investigated it and was told to change the Collision Warning Sensor. It's on order and should be changed out next week.

Anyone seen or experienced this? If so, was the sensor changed and did that fix it?

This said, I'd emphasize that even with these faults I absolutely love this truck and the adaptive cruise control.

Thanks!

Matt6951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same thing in some heavy rain. Only time I've had it, but also the only time I've driven in rain like that.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve experienced the same thing. Shortly after picking up my truck, I took a road trip to the rainy Pacific Northwest. I saw that same fault message two or three times while I was there, as it rained a lot. It seemed like light rain was fine, but each time I saw the message it was moderate to heavy rain and I was on the freeway. Each time the issue corrected itself a short while after the rain stopped. This was back in April.

I drove the truck back to SoCal, and I’m not sure that it has seen rain since, honestly. It just never rains here. It stands to reason that a bad seal on the sensor could allow water penetration in heavy rain and freeway driving conditions, so hopefully swapping the sensor is all that’s needed.

Let us know how it turns out once the dealer swaps it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In rain, snow etc it will disable itself because it cannot work properly, I have this also on my big truck (semi) and it does the same thing in bad weather.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s possible, but I’ve been in some pretty respectable downpours, I’d say at least a few 6’s, and 7’s, possibly even an 8 on the Irish rain scale. In all of this I’ve never had the collision system warn me. It does work, I get the red flashes periodically when some brain donor, mommy-van or SUV piloting cell yakker cuts across several lanes in front of me.

breal

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was snowing here today and I had adaptive cruise control on. I noticed it wasn't working when it wasn't slowing/stopping for a vehicle that was stopping in front of me. I then realized that it would allow me to set the adaptive cruise control but it would not show a picture of a vehicle on the screen when it got close. There was never an alert message to tell me it wasn't working. I pulled over and cleared the slushy snow from the front of the sensor and it started working again until some more snow built up on it. At that point an alert for the collision warning was given to me but never for the adaptive cruise control. Use caution when relying on these features in snowy/icy weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, it is designed to shut off in bad weather since it won't work sufficiently. A better service department would have told you this and pointed you to the owners manual showing that it is working as intended and sent you on your way a little more educated. Now they will replace a perfectly working part with a new one and you will experience the same thing once the "repair" is done. You will be mad and take it back and tell them it is not fixed and they will scratch their heads and wonder why the new part didn't "fix" an intended design.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The local news has "weather radar" that shows where storms are because radar waves reflect off of visible moisture. I don't know what frequency Ford uses on these trucks, but it appears visible moisture affects it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It was snowing here today and I had adaptive cruise control on

To me, this sounds like begging for a collision or wipeout. ACC inputs can be subtle but they can also be quite abrupt, like when someone lane changes in front of you with less than sufficient room, or someone lane changes out of your way after slowing you down significantly.

In either above scenario, the Rap will make quite abrupt changes.
maybe ‘weather’ mode changes the behavior, but even in ‘normal’ mode, throttle up after a LL hog getting out of the way in my experience has been brisk. Not wide open, but significant, depending on how slow the knuckle head in front of your as and how much room is left when they vacate. The opposite will make the Rap brake hard. These kinds of inputs are not conducive to a safe trip in foul weather.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To me, this sounds like begging for a collision or wipeout. ACC inputs can be subtle but they can also be quite abrupt, like when someone lane changes in front of you with less than sufficient room, or someone lane changes out of your way after slowing you down significantly.

In either above scenario, the Rap will make quite abrupt changes.
maybe ‘weather’ mode changes the behavior, but even in ‘normal’ mode, throttle up after a LL hog getting out of the way in my experience has been brisk. Not wide open, but significant, depending on how slow the knuckle head in front of your as and how much room is left when they vacate. The opposite will make the Rap brake hard. These kinds of inputs are not conducive to a safe trip in foul weather.

Does AAC work in "weather mode"? It would seem to be a foolish thing to use in adverse conditions even if Ford doesn't lock it out.